Logo

Engine Quit

spreda

"Took the boat out yesterday a

"Took the boat out yesterday and just clear of the no-wake powered up to get on plane. Came up nicely and as I adjusted the power trim the right engine quit. Back into slow cruise mode and after I remembered the engine does NOT start when it's in gear the right engine fired up fine. However, when powering up to get on plane the engine cut out again. After re-starting it we headed back to the dock. At low RPM there is no issue... just high. I plan to replace the fuel filter later this week and give it a go. Other than the fuel filter and the possibility there's an issue with the flow from the tank, what else could cause the problem. Boat is a 98 Rinker 330 EC with carbureted 5.7 Mercuruisers and B-III outdrives. Prior to taking it out I changed the oil/filter on both engines and worked on the generator... which should not have caused the problem.

Thanks
Steve"

"Steve:

When both engines a

"Steve:

When both engines are idling in neutral, do the carburetors respond the same with a quick throttle increase or does the one that dies lag behind in response? If it does lag, you may need an accellerator pump.

Are the basics like flame arrestors clean, spark plugs, plug wires, dist. cap and rotor in good condition?"

Back