Logo

30 mercruiser starter bolts

mikwoo2002

I have a 1995 bayliner capri t

I have a 1995 bayliner capri the starter is new
just put on befor i baught the boat.the bolts keep breaking off in the housing 2times now.
the starter is a high tork starter and the bracket was left off . by replacing the starter and putting a new bracket on would this solve my problem?

no sir that is the only thing

no sir that is the only thing going on. the boat runs great. i checked the bolts to make sure they are not to long or short and the grade is 8

Mike:

I would double check

Mike:

I would double check that you have the right starter first. The bracket is important since it braces the starter against the torque load.

"reason I asked is thats a com

"reason I asked is thats a common symptom of water in cyls. like hitting the starter with a sledge. have a good look at it when its off. in particular, the mating surface where it bolts on. check for any deformity. other than that, replacing the fwd. brace should help. stay away from the cheap (spelled chinese) starters. I only use arco."

I have a similar problem with

I have a similar problem with a Bayliner Capri 1993 3.0. Any suggestion how to take the broken bolts out from the housing without taking out the engine?
Thanks!

Calin:

Welcome. Are saying

Calin:

Welcome. Are saying the starter is still on the engine and the bolts are broken?

Note: It is customary to start a separate posting so all may see your question and give you a greater response.

"Hi,

The starter fell off a

"Hi,

The starter fell off and the remaining of the bolts is still in the engine and can’t put any pliers on them.
I was not sure how this board was working and I was hoping the question will float to the top of the topic based on the posting date. Thanks for your advice; I will post a new topic if needed.
Thanks again Guy!"

Calin:

Go ahead a start a n

Calin:

Go ahead a start a new posting. Include the year and engine model along with what happened and the problem.

Back