Logo

Antifouling Recomendations

ratmower

Advanced Contributor
Hey Learned People !!
I have

Hey Learned People !!
I have been a bit dissapointed in the performance of the Antifouling I am using on my outdrives and are interested to hear what others have used and how they have found it.
My boat is moored in Salt water for approx 8 months of the year.
I would like to hear anybodys stories about the antifouling they are using.

If you dont want to post it just send me an email.

Cheers
Peter C

"Hey Peter,
Judging from your

"Hey Peter,
Judging from your posts I guess you are from the Hunter around Newcastle. I have a Mariner 26 on a mooring at Port Stephens, year round, and the water is so rich in nutrients that I need to pull it twice a year for antifouling. It takes only 4 weeks for the weed to start growing back enough to slow the boat noticeably.Even though I am inboard I still have the problem with Trim Tabs, etc and have tried all the available primers and anti fouling paints. Even the hard stuff doesn't work. If you find something that does work, please post here.
Ray."

"Ray
Thanks for your response

"Ray
Thanks for your response, you are not to far away, I am on Lake Macquarie.

I have traditionaly used Altex antifouling on my hulls and outdrives but the last few times I have used it I have experimented a bit with the mix, I know it sounds a bit wicked but the best results I have achieved have been by adding a high level of hot chillie powder and glysophate.

They just dont seem to make antifouling like they use to though as I always use to get 18 months out of an application, (mind you it would be looking pretty terrible by the end of the 18 months ).

Anyway I am hoping to get a bit of feedback on this one and it may influence my choice of antifouling before I stick mine back in the water in a couple of months time.

Cheers

Peter C"

Troy
I realise that the perfo

Troy
I realise that the performance of an antifouling will vary greatly from one body of water to another but using the Interlux Trilux what sort of time frame are you getting before you need to get out the water blaster and clean off the outdrives and what range of water temps do you deal with in your area.
I am only getting around 3 to 4 months before I need to give my outdrives a very serious clean. Our water temps vary from around 12 Degree C in winter to around 22 Degree C in mid summer and I operate my boat primarily on a lake that is open to the pacific ocean .

Cheers
Peter C

"When I kept my boat in the wa

"When I kept my boat in the water, I would launch in late April and pull the boat in mid July to give it a good scrubbing and re-launch. Then pull it out in Novemeber to clean and winterize.
About once a month or so I would need to reach back with a scrub brush and knock the sea grass off the sterndrive. A few barnicles here and there as well. The rest of the boat stayed pretty clean. I was in brackish water (Gulf of Maine)usually between 40F and 65F."

Back