Logo

Yamaha 2000 40hp telltale

yammyfan

"Ran motors for about 5 hours

"Ran motors for about 5 hours last week fishing...coming home I noticed that the tell-tale on the starboard motor was getting very weak. Checked the rubber line from the head, no blockages there, and when running, noticed steam coming from exhaust housing, unlike the other motor. Checked block/head temperature, but still only warm to touch. Tell-tale still a dribble at revs, ran home at reduced revs OK. When flushing with muffs, plenty water still coming out of prop and egress ports, but tell-tale just a dribble. Looks like I need a new impeller, but could it just be a bit of weed stuck somewhere? Should I blow compressed air back down through the tell-tale?"

Thanks Just...confirming that

Thanks Just...confirming that exhaust housing getting warm when running at idle and raised revs...
in for a service...

"Wasn't Thermostat...just

"Wasn't Thermostat...just impeller, whole new kit applied, working fine. Cup that impeller sits in was scored from sand/grit, hence low circulation/ pressure. Complete impeller kit renewed. Port motor just fine. Propeller bush was ruined, too, indicating that this motor had been driving in sand/rocks, maybe due to retrieve process where man stands at wheel on starboard side, and these are the results.}"

Back