Logo

43L V6 cuts out at higher RPMs

cvl_mi

1992 20' Bayliner with a 4

1992 20' Bayliner with a 4.3L. Starts and runs fine bit the engines starts cutting out at 3800 RPM or so. Will not rev any higher. I think it is starving for fuel. How can I verify and correct this problem?

"Install a tee and a pressure

"Install a tee and a pressure guage on the fuel pump and see what the pressure is when it starts missing. Make sure the tank vent, prob'ly located on the outside of the transom, connected to the tank inside with a hose is free to let the tank breathe. Bugs can plug those vents, or if the hose is sagging, fuel can enter when you take off and plug the hose. If it is backfiring, look at the volt meter when this occurs and see if it is over-charging due to a bad voltage regulator. Over-voltage can cause cross-firing resulting in backfiring and loss of power. Hope this helps. JW in Dixie"

Thanks for these suggestions.

Thanks for these suggestions. Will check thm out today. Any thoughts on carb adjustment? Float adjustment?

"I,m experiencing the same pro

"I,m experiencing the same problem with a 1990 Bayliner.

My local Mercruiser mechanic has given up on the boat because it runs fine on Dyno in the shop, but not in the water.

All new iginiton components have been installed. Complete distributor, coil, plugs, wires and ignition module.

I've confirmed timing at 8 BTDC and tested fuel pressure with boat out of the water. Pressure measures 6psi. What's the standard specification?

I'm trying it out this afternoon on the water to see if the fuel pressure varies with stalling problem."

hickabilly - any update from y

hickabilly - any update from your testing?

I changed fuel filters and checked the vent hose. All seems correct. Will check fuel pressure next.

Can anyone tell me how to properly set the float level on the carb?

Back