Logo

Sears Tecumseh carb issues

ray_kane

"First post so be gentle with

"First post so be gentle with me. I have a sears tecumseh engine model #217-585280 3.5 HP. I cleaned out the carb, replaced the float valve and seat {float is not leaking} It will start after a few pulls and run for about 30 seconds then die out. Afterward it will not start for 10 minutes. I have r&r the carb after each attempt"

"Pay a visit to www3.sears.com

"Pay a visit to www3.sears.com/ and enter your 217-585280 number. I used to have the 7.5hp engine that uses your carbeurettor exactly.

Mine at one time gathered all sorts of dirt chunks in the "fuel pump" assembly. Given the age of the motor and the possibly dire consequences of failure at sea, you might go and change out the following parts:

GASKET 631554
SCREEN FILTER 631553
VALVE FLAP 631555
ELEMENT PUMP 630953

They'll ship right to your door at a reasonable rate. Make sure you install the Pump Element at an angle so that one flat side faces the direction of the fuel inlet within the pump chamber (flats about 45 degrees to the upper left/lower right I think but you'll be able to see the inlet hole).

I would then add a standard automotive fuel filter in line before the carb fuel intake (1/4" hose fittings). My current Sears engine, a 3.5hp that requires an external tank, has only the Pump Element and no flapper valve and I use a filter on the line from the tank with no problem.

Run the engine in a test situation or in the real world for a half hour or so, and then check the float bowl for residue again for good luck.

Hope all goes well!"

"check out ebay for you eska a

"check out ebay for you eska and sears parts,the eskaman2008,has a store called sanfords goodies,he has new parts listed or you can ask him for used parts,go to the search bar on ebay and enter eska or sears outboard parts"

"buy a fuel pump element and a

"buy a fuel pump element and a new base gasket and you will be on the water again,sanfordsgoodies.com"

"email me for this carb kit &#

"email me for this carb kit (10 piece) $27 free shipping to the lower 48 states, thank's... bob
250659.jpg
"

Back