Logo

Install trim gauge

jerryh

"I'm going to install a tr

"I'm going to install a trim gauge on a alpha 1, where do I connect the 2 wires coming off the gauge?"

"Only if you are running new w

"Only if you are running new wires all the way into the boat. Other wise you can splice them onto the old ones and heat shrink the wires after putting some dielectric grease on the wires to keep the water out. If the wires are bad behind the drive, then you almost have to pull the motor to get at the gimbal housing from the backside and pull the wires out and feed the new ones in! Good luck!"

"I'm installing a trim gau

"I'm installing a trim gauge on the dash, I don't have one now. I'd just like to know where to connect the 2 wires."

Where can I find reasonably pr

Where can I find reasonably priced trim pucks for my alpha I outdrive. I have a mercruiser 3.0L. I have searched all over the Internet and nobody seems to even list the pucks. Do I have to go directly to a Mercruiser dealer for them?

"Thomas
You need to start a n

"Thomas
You need to start a new posting to get a good response, otherwise only those who have responded to the string that you have tagged with your question will see it.
Best way to always do it is to post a new topic that way all the contributors will see it.
As for your question, check out the sponsors of this site.
Cheers
Peter C"

"Gerald
Check the relevant wi

"Gerald
Check the relevant wiring diagram in a manual and compare it with your harness, from memory you are looking for a purple and white wire which is your earth/return feed from the trim sensor the other is the 12v feed for the gauge which you can take off the switched side of your ignition key.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Peter C"

"The diagram in my seloc manua

"The diagram in my seloc manual shows the purple and white wire goes to the trim limit switch. Is this the wire I connect to from the trim gauge? Thanks, Jerry"

"No. You want the brown with

"No. You want the brown with white stripe, pin #10 on the engine harness barrel plug. This wire comes from the trim position sender and should be in the dash gauge harness."

"Woops !!!
Sorry Gerald, I di

"Woops !!!
Sorry Gerald, I did say to check your manual for the relevant wiring diagram to find the right wire.

Thats why we have people like Guy here so he can keep us all honest.

I was thinking of the early 9 pin harness in my own boat in which it is purple and white on pin 9.

It is one of the things that I do suggest that people do when they are trying to nut out a problem, is to make sure they are using a manual which is relevant to the engine and drive that they are dealing with, because as was in this case, there is a difference in wire colouring.

Thanks Guy.
Sorry again Gerald.

Cheers
Peter C"

Back