Logo

Horsepower

F

fish.com

What would be the rated horsep

What would be the rated horsepower of a 1973 Ford mercruiser 5.0 V8 with a holley 2 barrel carb and would it be productive to run a air inlet duct directly to the carb to add more power? I ask this only for Insurance info.Thank you for any response.

"I would think that to get any

"I would think that to get any real horsepower from a ram air effect, you would have to get the boat to go way over 50 MPH!! Besides, you would have to incorporate a flame arrester in there. A more sensable approch to HP gain would be to install a 4 barrel marine carb and manifold with a camshaft to match!! Your insurance company DOES NOT want to hear of any mods for HP gains!!
Chris"

"I think the answer to your qu

"I think the answer to your question is about 195 HP at the crank. Unless your bilge blowers are blocked, you should have plenty of air entering the engine bay. Probably no noticeable difference if you run outside air directly into the engine bay, similar to your car on a hotter day. Chris, you need to read the question more carefully next time! He wanted to know the HP rating of the engine, not how much HP could be produced with ram air!"

"fish.com & Sea Ray:

I

"fish.com & Sea Ray:

I run a 4" high volume engine compartment exhaust blower along with one 3" fresh air duct to the bilge and another to the upper engine area. Don't have any scientific data on its effectiveness but the carb. gets cooler, denser air from the additional air duct which can't hurt."

"[b]"What would be the rat

""What would be the rated horsepower of a 1973 Ford mercruiser 5.0 V8 with a holley 2 barrel carb"

Those were known as the 188s,..... hence 188hp...."

Thanks for the info!I was just

Thanks for the info!I was just thinking that maybe a little more air to the carb would help the fuel-air mix.

Back