Logo

Mercruiser 50 305 quit and wonbt restart

godukies

"Last time out, the boat ran f

"Last time out, the boat ran fine until it got warm. Then it quit and wouldn't restart until the engine cooled. Today, it quit once it got warm and now it won't restart. I checked and it is getting fuel. I pulled the coil wire and there is no spark when I hold it up to metal. I am actually glad it won't start, because hopefully now I can find the problem. I am a "Do it Yourself" person, but not when it comes to engine repairs. Please help! By the way, it is a 1995. It has always been stored in a garage, very well maintained and is in like new condition."

"Alan:

Sounds like it is ti

"Alan:

Sounds like it is time to test the ignition system.

Tests for TB ignition: W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts is present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced"

Back