Logo

305 V8 sputtering

L

Lindalee

"Just put back in the water af

"Just put back in the water after 3 years my parents 20ft Arriva with V-8 305....have put on new plugs, oil, oil filter, impellar, cleaned fuel filter, added new gas, runs great for about 30 minutes at high and low speeds, then she starts sputtering, backfiring,and the RPMs go low...can't go fast after that...I'm running out of thoughts of what else I should do...any help would be great as I'd like to enjoy the rest of this summer...this girl would like to enjoy the boat!
Lindalee ;-)"

"what year and type of 305,car

"what year and type of 305,carb or efi, if carb yank the carb off and overhaul it, carb kits are fairly cheap after sitting for 3 years bet the carb isn't to healthy.. also check your fuel pump.. other then that I would start checking anything that might be affected by the heat of the motor, since you said if runs fine for about 30 minutes. could be overheating"

"LL,

I just got a boat that

"LL,

I just got a boat that had been out for about the same amount of time, perhaps a bit more.
The carb was FULL of crap.
Take Bills sound advice and rebuild the carb. As Bill also indicated, maybe the coil is at fault as they can be affected by heat.
Sounds like you have covered all the bases.
Did you "clean" the fuel filter or replace it with a new one? For the price go for a new one.
New rubber gas lines will also help.
That might make a differnce also.
If it is a carbed engine there is also a secondary filter located at the inlet of the carb which probably needs replacement also.
Let us know how it works out.
James Taylor out"

"Thanks so much you guys for t

"Thanks so much you guys for the info......it's an '89 boat with the lovely carb...will check into all the advise you guys have given..sure do appreciate it...my knowledge is limited, but am learning!
Did use a cool temp gun yesterday and engine seemed to run decent with 120' out of water pump and engine seemed to stay cool...after aboout 45 minutes of running..and did recheck temps when pulled into dock..nothing to show major heating...
Lindalee :)"

Just to let ya all know the ol

Just to let ya all know the old boat is up and running nice and smoothly...Put a new coil in and she runs like a dream..thanks so much for your help!
Lindalee :)

Back