Logo

Honda 75 4 Stroke Popping Out of Fwd

T

Tom Spidel

"I have an older model Honda.

"I have an older model Honda. The motor was running like a champ, then all of a sudden it lost fwd. thrust. It works fine in reverse, and actually went back into forward gear with thrust for a few seconds before it disengaged. It looks like the prop is moving in the fwd direction when put into gear but the engine will just rev up with no output from the prop. You can also hear something rattling in the lower unit. I was thinking it could be the shifting linkage but it goes into reverse just fine, any ideas? Is this going to be a big job to fix it?"

"Are you sure it's not jus

"Are you sure it's not just a spun prop? The next likely culprit is the clutch dog in the lower unit and/or the forward gear. It's not that hard to fix, but you need to buy a service manual."

"I have a manual, and if it we

"I have a manual, and if it were a spun prop it would not go into reverse would it? To get to the fowrard gear do you need to use a puller to remove other parts in front of it?"

"Honda Dude you were right, KI

"Honda Dude you were right, KISS (keep it simple stupid). I thought that it would not be possible for the motor to be able to go in reverse with the sheer pin broken. Wrong! When I took the prop off tonight, I found 4 pieces of my sheer pin laying inside the housing. I replaced it and now we are back up and running. The other interesting thing is that I didnt even realize that I had hit something with the prop. Do these pins sheer easily?"

Sheer pins are designed to bre

Sheer pins are designed to break fairly easily - before you do damage to the prop. That's probably why you didn't realize you hit something. You should have spare sheer pins and cotter pins inside the cowling (unless they all got used up). I think on the front port side of the engine you will see a little black rubber holder for spare sheer pins.

Sure did and I replaced it alr

Sure did and I replaced it already. The motor had 3 spare pins and one extra cotter key with it. I cant belive it was so easy of a fix. I had myself worried that it was going to end up being a big deal. I should have known better and looked for the obvious fix first. Thanks for you help and the reminder to still look at the pin.

I have an older model honda 15

I have an older model honda 15 and it seems I have the same problem. I took the prop off and it seems fine. If I put it in fwd and try to manually turn the prop it does feel solid. Is this an acceptable test or do I have to mark the hub and prop and water test it?

Back