Logo

Mercuisr 30 carb floods after reaching operating temp

abbottma

"I have a 92' 3.0 Mercruis

"I have a 92' 3.0 Mercruiser/Bayliner. The carb floods the engine after it is shut down. I can do one or two hot starts then around the third atempt it floods? Have adjusted float and needle valve and seat look good? Fuel is filtered, so what am I missing?"

"Carb has internal leakage fro

"Carb has internal leakage from defective bowl gasket, leaking casting plugs or other. If you used the same gasket you can remove the cover to see if there is a worn spot on it and replace the gasket. If it is the original carb. I would replace it for safety's sake w/ a merc. or other reman. carb. Carb is available from this site.
Carb. # is MER3310-860070A 2

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER3310-860070A+2&pty pe=&Engine=&Model="

"Mark:

Anything is possible

"Mark:

Anything is possible with any carb. If you think you can rebuild it, give it a shot.

The reason I suggested replacing the carb is there are too many wear parts that can cause poor operation; bushings on the choke and throttle plates, internal passages corrode, casting plugs can leak, air horn can become distorted by over tightening the flame arrestor.
15 years is pretty long for a carb."

"Check the choke.

I wish I

"Check the choke.

I wish I had a manual choke on my boat, and I've been thinking about rigging up cables to make it that way. The stupid thermal automatic choke in mine is a pain.

Sometimes my choke plate will stick. (opened or closed, depending on its mood.....I think). Sometimes I think it just likes to taunt me.

My accelerator pump is shot and when the auto choke isn't cooperating I take a large rag (too big to fit into the intake) and stuff it in the carb to get the ole fuel going. (strange thing is that I don't notice any delay in accelerating with bad accel pump, but I do notice I cant just pump the throttle a couple of times before hiting the starter to enrich the mixure).

I am hoping just maybe the Seafoam stuff I put in the fuel will losen up some of the varnish and I won't have to rebuild (again) the carb.

Read somewhere that after running the engine hard the bowl temp can go over 200 degrees, boiling the fuel in it, and incling it to flood. Then the ole wide open for a couple round of cranking, and if not pull the ole' plugs and crank it a few times to blow out all the extra fuel and try again.

The visible leakage you mentioned inside the carb, is that after you kill it? (that would definitely seam like boil over).

Cheers."

Chris:

Sounds like the thro

Chris:

Sounds like the throttle plates bushings are worn which would cause the sticking choke plate. You can try spraying the bushings with Gumout and then give them a good shot of penetrating oil. If they still act up you probably need a reman. carb.

P.S. I like your giant molitov cocktail. But your insurer might not if it goes off on you.

"Insurer...what insurer?<[img]

"Insurer...what insurer?
lol.gif
"

Back