Logo

Shift cable Bellow Cracked

gps

I just discovered that the bel

I just discovered that the bellow that houses the shift cable is cracked and is allowing some water into the boat. For some one handy is this a huge under taking or a dealer job. And should I replace all bellows while I'm at it? I have a 1987 4.3 ltr. with an ALPHA 1 outdrive. Thanks in advance for your responces. GPS. Safe boating.

"If you can follow instruction

"If you can follow instructions per service manual, replace all of the bellows and the water inlet hose. Inspect and grease the drive shaft zerk fittings and may be a good time to inspect and relube the gimble bearing--replace if needed--requires bearing puller. Use the correct sealants per the manual and you'll need a bellows install. tool to spread it enough to get it on. Examine shift cable for corrosion--good time to replace if needed."

"I've done it once and it

"I've done it once and it wasn't a fun job, to say the least. My boat was in a floating boathouse and I had to keep a magnet at hand to retreive tools. Alas, o-rings, gaskets and non-ferrous parts don't float. Even with a net suspended below the area it didn't catch everything. The spreader tool, or one you make, is essential. It's kinda like putting a calf back into its mama.
Having it on a trailer at a good working height would help a lot. There are numerous adjustments to be make if cables are replaced. Different bearings need different grease, as I recall. Last time mine needed service I took it to the trained mechanic and forked over the cash. Good luck. JW in Dixie"

"Ben;
As has been said above,

"Ben;
As has been said above, it is not a pleasant job for the inexeperienced.
You will need time, patience, the right tools, parts, and a clean dry place to work as Warren says.
You will also need the manual, and it would be handy to get to know your local boat mechanic so he can get you thru the tight spots.
Rod"

"Ben,
I forgot to add, make

"Ben,
I forgot to add, make sure you change all the bellows, and the lower shift cable while you have it apart.
You should also likely change the gimbal bearing and the water pump at the same time. Also check your U joints and change if there is any play.
Rod"

Back