Logo

Engine staling now not starting creamy oil

oops

"hi guys.i have horrid creamy

"hi guys.i have horrid creamy oil.i donr a oil change and used for a hour or so.now its creamy again.

there is also water in the spark plug are.most of the parts were new on the engine when i got it,but i see the head bolts have not been removed in a long time if ever.could i have a broken head gasket?

i have ordered one and am going to do tmrw.is there any advise you can give me and is there someplace i can download a manual online

i have a mercruiser 92 3.0L 4 cylider?

cheeeers"

"Creamy oil, not a good sign.

"Creamy oil, not a good sign. It could be any number of things. Do you see water gushing out the side of your motor when its running? If so, you have a cracked block, which is fatal. If not, there is hope. If your lucky, its just a head gasket, but there still can be devastating internal damage that you can't see until you open 'er up. You definetely need to get in there and see what's going on.
Hope everything turn out ok for you."

"mmm.theres no water coming ou

"mmm.theres no water coming out the engine.theres a little and i mean tiny bit of rust where the head gasket is,,all the exhaust system is new and so is the top leg..would you recommend skimming the head or if it looks ok just trying the hrad gasket..im no engine geek so is it straight forward or can i balls it up.need to get a manual within 12 hours time.any ideas...cheers graham"

"Before you start diagnosing t

"Before you start diagnosing the problem you need to open it up and just see what exactly happened. The last thing you want to do is fix the head gasket and come to find out that wasn't the problem. I had this happen to me, and I had to replace the entire engine because it was shot. I truly hope you don't have to replace your motor, but if your not comfortable with working on it I would take it to a mechanic. That way you'll know where you stand."

"Richard:

What do you mean

"Richard:

What do you mean "there's water in the spark plug area"?

Creamy oil means moisture is in the engine. Things to check:

Oil level--is it over the full mark? Denotes the quantity of moisture in the oil.

Thermostat--is it opening too early or has it failed wide open? Failed in the open position does not allow the engine to reach operating temp. which boils off combustion blowby gasses which contain water.

Did you pull the spark plugs and crank the engine? Did water come out of the cylinders? "Exhaust is new"; the riser gasket could be defective allowing water into the exhaust valves.

Perform a dry and wet (tsp. of oil) compression test and compare the numbers. Wet test showing increased compression means rings are worn. Uneven readings, i.e., 145, 140, 100, 90 shows two good cylinders and a problem between two cylinders such as a blown head gasket, cracked head or block.

Recent posts have discussed this problem. One similar problem was caused by a failed exhaust flapper that allowed backwash into the engine. Did the flapper get replaced?
Good luck."

Back