Logo

Cracked block will replacement work

unscathed

"Okay, you may remember seeing

"Okay, you may remember seeing my posting a week or two ago about loosing a frost plug, low and behold when we pulled the motor we found an 8 inch crack in the block. I found a guy 6 hours from me with a merc 140 out of a 1980 Renken that was complete, so I ran up there last night and picked the thing up for cheap. Before I left I called a local Marina to ask if this was the same engie as this guy didn't have any pics of it, and I was told that it was the same engine, and it would work fine. However, when I got there to pick it up I noticed right away that several things were different, the exhaust, the carb and throttle set up is all different. Pretty much everything else looks similar. They are both 181 CID and both 140 horse. Can anyone tell me if the block are likely the same? The block on the one I bought is good...so if it's swapable I'm intending on using it...but I can't tell just by looking if they are exactly the same block. Mine is a 1986 3.0 Merc 140, the replacement I bought it 1980 or older. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!"

Back