Logo

1988 Johnson 225 no power stator

S

Ste

Hi

I have a Johnson 225 19

Hi

I have a Johnson 225 1988 on a 6.5m rib. It seems to be down on power as it can hardly pull itself up onto plane and is constantly fouling plugs. I have spoken to a dealer who has suggested I have a faulty stator. I have removed the flywheel but the stator looks fine however the magnets in the flywheel are loose and grouped to one side of the flywheel. what symptoms dose a faulty stator give or could it just be the loose magnets?

" Ste.... Those magnets will n

" Ste.... Those magnets will need to be epoxied back to the flywheel in their original positions (seperated evenly).

NOTE: The flywheel nut must be torqued to exactly 145 foot pounds when installing the flywheel. Any less will result in a sheared flywheel key.

Those 35 amp stators run very hot and eventually melt down. Check the large black coils on the stator assy. If any have starter to ooze a substance out of them, the stator is faulty and will require replacing.

The black coils at the back of the stator generate approx 300 AC volts which is applied to the powerpack(s). When those coils start to melt down, the AC voltage drops which results in weak, erratic, or no ignition.

With the s/plugs removed, cranking the engine over should have the spark on all cylinders jumping a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like spark. A failing, melting stator would result in weak spark.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Thanks Joe I have checked the

Thanks Joe I have checked the stator and it seems that the coils have melted would this cause a lack off power? how dose a weak spark afect the performance of the engine?

" Hey Joe, I have a 2001 Johns

" Hey Joe, I have a 2001 Johnson 225 Im trying to fix. Thought you might be able to help me with those 30 plus years. I have an old clymers book that only goes to 1990. How much different would
the 2001 be from a 1990 225 Hp ? Im having a
spark break down after warm up and trying to
test the system. Hope you will assist me.
I,m new at this electrical testing stuff and
the book I have isnt the best of help.
Happy Holidays!! Brian "

" STE.... Weak spark will resu

" STE.... Weak spark will result in having the s/plugs misfire, or not fire at all.

Brian.... Your problem sounds like a "Stator" melt down problem. It would be better if you had entered your post under your own topic heading instead of under STE's post. Go to the previous page, scroll to bottom, you'll see the entry button there.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back