Logo

2004 25hp 4Stroke problems

cmacclel

I have a 2004 25hp 4-stroke th

I have a 2004 25hp 4-stroke that is giving me problems. It all started at the end of last season. On one outing the motor started up fine and was running great but around 5 minutes into the trip it started to run real rough as if it was loaded up. Pumping the gas was the only way to keep it running and it stalled many times. As I was trying to make my way back in after numerous stalls it seemed to fix itself and ran fine for 4 hours after the initial problem. I also used it 2 more times before storing the engine with no problems. I thought maybe I had some water in my gas tank.

Yesterday was the first outing of this season. I launched the boat and started the motor (first pull) and continued out. Around 5 minutes into the trip the same original problem occured but worse. I could'nt keep the motor running it was choking badly. I probably pull started it 15 times and it would start up but only stay running for a few seconds.

I pulled the cover off and checked for loose connections and to see if I could see anything obvious to which I didn't. After pulling it 20 more times it still would only run for a few seconds. I then tried to choking the motor manually with my hand. As soon as I placed my hand over the air intake the motor purred like a kitten and revved up fine. As soon as my hand was removed it would die withing a few seconds. After about 10 minutes of trying to troubelshoot the problem it dissapeared again and the motor ran fine.

I have an appointment Monday at the dealer.

Any Idea's??

Dirty needle or seat?

Fuel?

The fuel bulb was always hard during the problem.

Thanks Mac

Definitely sounds like a fuel

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue. Did you by chance start using a ethanol blended fuel last year? That fuel starts to break down in as little as 3 wks if a stabilizer isn't used. I would consider cleaning your carbs as they sound like they're gummed up. Good luck!

One thing I noticed they other

One thing I noticed they other day was the water outlet (visual) was clogged. I did unscrew the hose flush connection while the engine was running and plenty of water was coming out. I hooked the hose up to flush the engine and heard a pop and it pushed out whatever was clogging the outlet.

I took the boat out this past weekend without doing anything besides added a little of dry gas into the tank and she ran perfectly for 6 hours.

Weird.

Mac

Funny you should ask. I brough

Funny you should ask. I brought it in to the dealer over a week ago. They called me yesterday and said it was all set. They said they found water in the carb. I didn't think that made much sense but they said once water enters these carbs it stays there. Any comments? Seems hard to believe water has stayed in the carb for over a year.

Mac

I'm using a portable tank.

I'm using a portable tank. I checked it for water when the problem originally happened and did'nt find any.

Mac

Back