Logo

1980 Merc 470 impeller problem

F

Frank Minniti

"I have a 1980 Merc 470, with

"I have a 1980 Merc 470, with what I am guessing is an Alpha 1 drive on it, I removed the lower unit and found the impeller no problem sitting on the shaft,but I can get it off, so I was wondering if anyone knew what that is about I dont know if I need a pully kit or not or if it is just jammed. so any advice would be great

thanks

Frank"

"probably stuck on the key. kn

"probably stuck on the key. knock it around a bit and then just pry it up. if you damage the pump base, replace it. the plate should be replaced with the impeller anyway."

"You may have a PRE-ALPHA driv

"You may have a PRE-ALPHA drive. If you have a lifting hole on the top of the dive, its a pre alpha. Alpha drives use a different water pump. Order a complete pump! Use a large screwdriver and pry evenly. Here is a link to a great websight for mercruiser drives. Go to the "how to" section.
http://www.mercstuff.com/index.htm
Chris"

"hi I have a merc cruiser 5 li

"hi I have a merc cruiser 5 liter engine and outdrive. I replaced the water pump in the lower unit. I now want to refill the oil in the outdrive. The drain plug on the lowe unit is very wide and a normal screw driver seems to small. i was wondering if i need a special tool or any tricks i should know about,. thanks brendan"

"Brendan, You have a good ques

"Brendan, You have a good question. You should start your own thread, you will get more reply's! I have a very large Craftsman screwdriver I use for the upper vent and lower drain. I think its close to 2 feet!! Find a place that has a good selection of cheap tools such as a flea market or a vendor at a car show. Also, Home Depot or Lowes have resonably priced tools
Chris"

"Brendan,

They sell a gear

"Brendan,

They sell a gear oil pump that is made especcily for filling the lower unit with gear oil, westmarine or your local marine store should have it"

Back