Logo

1999 50hp Force By Mercury Trim Tilt

J

Jim Cowgill

" I notice that when at runnin

" I notice that when at running speed and I trim the motor It reaches a certain point that it will not raise anymore, and only stutters at that point(10-20%up). Once I slow to no wake it will run up to where I need it. This weekend while it was up to its limit and still able to draw water. I throttled it and it would force the motor back down. The cylinder shows no sighns of leakage. Is the fluid low and what type of fluid does it take.

Jim "

" Jim...It is possible the flu

" Jim...It is possible the fluid is low but unlikely as you don't see a leek. There is a manual release valve on the starboard side of the motor inside the clamp bracket which could
be the problem, make sure its tight but don't over tighten it{should be a white nylon standard screw driver fitting} also there are 3 o rings on the inside of this valve which can allow the motor to leek down if damaged. There are also check valves inside the powertrim unit which could be leeking by. I highly reccomend a dealer does the work as they can be difficult to repair..PS... The powertrim unit will take Dexton 3 tranny fluid or mercury sells there own...GOOD LUCK...DJ "

" Thank you DJ, Iwill get on

" Thank you DJ, Iwill get on it today.

Jim "

" Jim,
This is normal oper

" Jim,
This is normal operation. There is a pressure relief valve in the trim unit to prevent you from overtrimming the motor and creating a dangerous situation. When you are throttling with the motor TILTED up the prop thrust creates more pressure than the relief valve can hold and the motor goes down to the maximum TRIM position.
Brian "

Back