Logo

Volvo Penta S2002 sail drive start button SILENCE no start

marksmith

"Hi there. I have just taken d

"Hi there. I have just taken delivery of a sail boat that has S2002 saildrive (circa 1992). Motored away from the dock fine. Set the sails up and off she went. No need for the engine anymore so switched off. oops, I stopped the engine whilst still in forward gear.

Now it will not start. No start noise at all, silence. Power is seems OK. Fully charged batteries, power display is lighting up fine plus alarm test works. But when I press that start button SILENCE.

I went to check if it is in neutral and that is when I discovered I stopped it in gear. Now I can't get to neutral. Also that little button I depress so I can rev the engine without the prop rotating will not depress.

I took a look at the gear select mechanism and although I am no engineer it seems to me that there is a switch that needs to be covered by a curved metal part that moves with the gear selector. I am guessing is a safety device so the engine can't start in gear. When I move the selector towards neutral it heads there but doesn't quite get there. Seems that when it is as far as it will go that metal curved part that covers the switch is not fully covering the switch, almost but not quite maybe 40% covered. The curved metal part I talk about is a curved (no quite semicircular) set up that swings over the switch as the mechanism moves towards neutral.

This suggests to me in layman's terms there is a jam up someplace that is not allowing the gear selector to move to neutral.

I know it's silly but it reminds me a bit like when I stop my automatic truck in PARK gear on a steep hill, start the engine again, release the hand and foot brake and then try to move into gear. It will not move out of park unless I rock the car back off the park pin. That happens because I forget the order, engine, foot on brake, select drive, hand brake off, go.

Maybe I did i to my boat now????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark."

"Go to the gear and remove shi

"Go to the gear and remove shift cable from gear side. that should allow you to shift out of gear into neutral.If you can't gear is locked up. Low oil? something wrong. May not be a neutral switch on control. Start button operates a small relay above alternator, Check relay operation. Red and yellow wire triggers start solenoid."

Back