Logo

Starter problem

dawgs

Regular Contributor
merc 170....i just replaced my

merc 170....i just replaced my starter for the second time...last one would stick and have to be tapped with a hammer to work...so i replaced it....had the boat out all day today...when i was about 30 feet from the dock the boat stalled (whole other problem) luckily i drifted right to the dock because the starter wouldnt work....i turn the key and the starter sounds like its spinning but nothing is happening...sounds like a drill....high pitched spin...any ideas?

sounds like the starter is the

sounds like the starter is the wrong one being too short or the arbor isn't working properly. or worst case senerio is bad fly wheel.. try turning the motor over by hand just enough to turn the fly wheel acouple of teeth then try the starter if it kicks in then you are probably missing teeth on the fly wheel if it still does the same thing then double check your starter..

"If not a bad flywheel, drive

"If not a bad flywheel, drive gear may be stuck on the shaft. If you are using rebuilt starters, try using a remanufactured starter; there is a difference. The rebuilt is just a repaired starter. A reman. is gone over like building a new starter. Coils are resealed or replaced and the armature is turned and undercut for new brushes. Major wear parts are replaced so it doesn't fail right away."

if its the wrong starter is it

if its the wrong starter is it possible it works for a while? because it worked fine all day

"Re: "it worked fine all d

"Re: "it worked fine all day" - How is the charge in the battery? Is the alt putting out a good rate? Maybe the batt ran down some during the day. The Bendix (gear thingie on the end of the starter shaft) may be a little sticky, or the spring that flips it out a little weak. If you have to pull the starter, try oiling the Bendix and working it with your fingers to see if it extends readily before replacing the starter. As usual, check all the suspects: corroded wiring connections, broken strands in the heavy cables, etc. Good luck. JW in Dixie"

"the only reason I say to chec

"the only reason I say to check the flywheel out is because on another one of my boats I had the same problem and I was missing two teeth on the flywheel, would work great for about a week or two then it would find that spot and not start again, another way to eliminate the flywheel is to pull the starter and look at the flywheel use a white paint pen and mark the flywheel and then have someone else turn the motor over by hand till to reach your white mark again.. while you have the starter out check the bendix like warren said and also compare the whole starter to your original one if you still have it.. my flywheel problem had me hitting my head on the steering wheel for months."

well i turnes the motor manual

well i turnes the motor manually...tried to start it....same thing...hopefully its just the starter...but its 1 month old...any reason why it would fail like that?

"it's an electronic device

"it's an electronic device and there is no guaranties with it I have bought many new parts over the years that were just bad, a friend always used to say it must of been built on a monday of a friday.."

Back