Logo

Nissan NS90A problem

lsufan71

Contributing Member
"I have a 90hp Nissan, I'm

"I have a 90hp Nissan, I'm not sure what year (prob about '92-'95), mounted on a 16' Skeeter fiberglass bass boat.

serial number is 3B7-1-15212

Motor was running great while coming in from the lake behind much larger boats. I hit an unusually large wave and the boat came down hard. The engine was running at about 3800 rpm and immediately went to about idle speed after the jolt. The engine still sounded good and would make higher revs but the speed wouldn't get higher than idle. The problem apparently/obviously was caused by the jolt to the boat/motor.

There was a thunderstorm bearing down on my family and I, so I was forced to continue along at barely above idle, hopefully I didn't cause additional damage. The motor did not sound as though a cylinder(s) were missing.

Any ideas? What kind of problem might I be looking at?

Donald"

"Donald, with continued higher

"Donald, with continued higher revs and no increase in speed, the first thing you should check out is the prop.

That jolt may have been the final straw and you have a spun hub (no longer enough resistance between the hub/rubber sleeve and prop itself)

Fairly simple repair at a prop shop if that's the problem. If you have a spare prop, try that out. If not you can place a mark on the hub (next to the splines) and an ajacent mark on the prop itself. Take it out for a little "spin" and see if it comes back with the marks out of line....

If the prop is good, then it's on to more troubleshooting..."

Back