Logo

Water in cylinders

cruzman

I have a 1989 5.7 v8. we repla

I have a 1989 5.7 v8. we replaced the risers and manifolds this year due to their age.Engine has been running fine untill last week when it was hard to start. the starter die and we replaced it yesterday. The eng wouldn't start after the starter was changed.We pulled all the plugs and found water in # 2&4 cyl. Cranked it over several times and nothing but water.We pulled the manifold off the just enough to see and cranked it again. Nothing but water from the plug holes.The plug holes actually leak water staticly without cranking.Is there anything else we can do to make sure it's not the block and just the heads or should we just replace the complete engine. This one has about 700hrs on it. Thanks

"sounds like you have a blown

"sounds like you have a blown head gasket or worse bad head, if you run a lot in salt water, what tends to happen is the water jackets start to corrode away and then the head gasket will leak.. pull the head and have it tested.. I just went through pretty much this same thing and I only have around 400 hrs on my motor.. both heads ended up running me about $800.00"

Thanks. I will be pulling the

Thanks. I will be pulling the heads off tomorrow.Hopefully it's just the gasket.This brings me to the next question. Do I pull both heads or just the one with the water comming out?

I pulled the bad one first and

I pulled the bad one first and when I saw so much corrosion I knew that the other one had to be about the same so if your replacing one you might as well pull both it's only three more gaskets you would have to replace if it is good. but before pulling the heads try and get all of the water out of the cylinders and do a compression check on all of them.

I tried to clear all the water

I tried to clear all the water to do a compression ck but the water just fills up the cylinders without even cranking the engine.

If the cylinder head is above

If the cylinder head is above the water line than I would pull it off. You'll have to anyway. Cylinders 2&4 are next to each other so it's likely the gasket. Good luck !

Back