Logo

43 to 57 swap

bussfuss

i have a 86 18ft sea ray. the

i have a 86 18ft sea ray. the boat is in very good condition but the engine is a bit tired. how much difference is there in the bellhouseing bettwen the two chevy engines? ive heard peaple saying that the chevy v6 and v8 are the same but two cylender less on the v6. a brand new v6 is about $4000-$5000 and a 5.7 is $5000 and up. or should i quit screwing around and put what was in there?

"Vasiliy:

First of all, wha

"Vasiliy:

First of all, what does the manufacturer's information plate state about the maximum horsepower rating for your 18' boat. A modern drop-in 4.3L Vortec carbed engine can produce 195 HP while an EFI engine can produce 220 HP which is alot of HP for the weight of the engine. Both will also make the 18' boat fly thru the water.

I think a modern drop-in 5.7L engine can produce from 260 HP for a carbed engine to 300 HP for an EFI engine. If they will fit under the doghouse, I am thinking that these engines may be too much power and weight for your boat."

"Ayuh,......

The Bellhousin

"Ayuh,......

The Bellhousing bolt pattern is the Same,.......
But,.....
Everythig Else is Different.......
And,....
You'll have to Regear the Outdrive........"

"Vasilly;
You could sure make

"Vasilly;
You could sure make the swap if you wanted to. Pay attention to the max hp rating on the manufacturer's data plate in your boat. You should not exceed this hp, as your insurance company could take a walk in the event of an otherwise legit claim.

Just this spring I swapped my 4.3 out for a small block 6.2 MAG MPI in my 1996 20 ft Blue Water Mirage. It was not cheap, but what the heck.
The 6.2 is rated at 350 crank hp, whereas the 4.3 was rated at 180 hp; so a big difference.
I changed the Alpha II 1.81 upper drive for a 1.47 that I bought on ebay, and bolted it up to the original lower gear case, with a new water pump naturally. Works just fine. I then sold my 1.81 upper unit on ebay. A fellow down in Boulder, Colorado bought it and it is working great for him.
The 6.2 runs great although I am still breaking it in. Very happy so far.
The 6.2 came with a Bravo bellhousing, which bolted right up to my Alpha transom plate. The Alpha driveshaft splines are the same as the Bravo and fit right into the Bravo coupler.
The original exhaust Y pipe would have fit just fine except I went with Hardin side hull exhaust tips instead. I wanted to use Silent Choice exhaust selectors, but the fiberglass cowling behind the engine is too close, and they just would not fit in.

The front motor mounts had to be moved ahead about 4" on the stringers. Drilled new holes and filled the old ones. No problem. My engine bay had plenty of room in front of the 4.3, as the Mirage was originally offered with a 350 MPI engine option.
The 6.2 is about 5" longer than the 4.3. Both the 4.3 and the 6.2 engines are the same width to the outside of the manifolds.
The 6.2 is about 1.5 inches higher to the top of the flame arrestor cover, and I had to modify the engine compartment cover slightly to suit.
The 6.2 came with a standard Merc 10 pin electrical connector, which fit right up to the boat connector. All gauges work fine, except my alarm buzzer for some reason.
I had to reset the selector on the back of my tach from 6 to 8 cylinder, no big deal.
As far as weight goes, I figure I did not gain more than 100 lbs net. I can't notice that the boat sits any lower in the water than before.

All in all a great swap. Any small block GM V-8 will work as a replacement for the 4.3. The 5.0, 5.7, and 6.2 are in fact all the same Gen I GM block, with different bores and strokes, heads, cams, etc. The 4.3 is actually the same block as the 5.7; with two center cylinders missing. Same bore and stroke.
If you decide to do this, my suggestion would be nothing smaller than a 5.7 carbed or MPI, with Vortec heads. Might as well get the best bang for your buck.

E-mail me if you would like some PIX of the 6.2 engine in my boat.

Hope that helps,
Rod"

"wow, what a story Rod. now, t

"wow, what a story Rod. now, that i know it could be done, im going to do some more research on changing gear ratio in the drive. as for the manufacturer's information plate that states max hp for the boat i cant find. there is a plate stateing max load(people)and a couple plates with seral numbers and gas tank info plate. maybe a 86 boat dont have a max hp rating? thanks for the info guys."

"Maybe check with SeaRay's

"Maybe check with SeaRay's website, or give them a call. With the boat serial number they should be able to tell you the max rated hp for that boat. That will tell you what you can expect to do.
My guess is that boat has an engine copartment that can handle the dimensions of a V-8 just a mine did.
Rod"

Back