Logo

1995 57 260 mercruiser batterystarter

dcso408

"it has a gear reduction start

"it has a gear reduction starter, does it reqire two batteries to start or just one ?, one battery dosen't want to spin the starter as it should although it does engage the drive.
ted"

could be the bushings are bad

could be the bushings are bad also that will bind one up also.. have you had them looked at yet.. could put an amp gauge on it and see what is drawing when its trying to start..

im going clean it up and have

im going clean it up and have it checked at the local parts store . i was just wondering if it needed the two batteries to turn it over or is one batter the startng battery and the other the house battery
ted

A single engine marine start b

A single engine marine start battery is all that is needed. Batteries with Cold Cranking Amps or CCA ratings above 600 are not necessary. Always buy a battery with the most minutes in RESERVE CAPACITY. Stay away from the Wal-Mart 800-1000 CCA batteries; they are junk even for car batteries.

"I recently replaced my 1994 s

"I recently replaced my 1994 starter on my 350 V-8 as part of maintenance. Did exhaust, plugs, wires, etc. I did not realize my starter was bad til I replaced it. I always used both batteries because it didn't turn over fast enough with just one. Now it turns over faster on 1 battery than it did with 2 using the old starter."

Back