Logo

Letbs talk about RPMs

"Seems every discussion here e

"Seems every discussion here ends up revolving around RPM's so I'm hoping we might consolidate some good information in one thread.

In another thread I asked:
Is the prop RPM directly related to the engine RPM? In otherwords, if I'm running the engine @3000 RPM, is the prop turning that fast as well? I ask because I was just reading how the pitch affects the RPM. Does this mean the type of prop will dictate what the engine's WOT RPM is?

Answers (followed by a new question so skip down if you want):

(Peter Chamberlain)It depends on the ratio of your outdrive, for example if the ratio is listed as one to one then your prop speed is a match for your engine RPM but if it is any other ratio than that it is not.
The pitch and diameter will always have a bearing on the max RPM of your engine, aside from propelling your boat through the water the prop creates a load on your engine, the greater the load the harder it will be for your engine to reach its rated max RPM.
The trick is to get the balance right for your boat as far as pulling power and max RPM and that can mean a bit of fiddling with the prop as far as diameter and pitch.
It is generally recognised that Stainless props out perform Alloy props, the stainless props do not flex as much so you do not get as much variation in pitch under load. Stainless props can cause a bit quicker deteriation of your anodes but that is a small price to pay.

(Rod Stewart) Your drive ratio should be stamped on your drive leg. My book shows it should be a 1.84 ratio for the 170. That means your engine turns over 1.84 times as fast as the prop. Various engines use different ratio drives, with the larger engines using lower numeric ratios such as 1.50 or 1.32.
This is done to keep the prop pitch in the range of one to two inches of pitch per inch of diam; where they are most efficient. This means for a 14 inch diam prop, you want to be in the range of 14 to 28 inches of pitch.

(Crow) Remember you must have your engine trimmed correctly to get maximum RPMs. (usually about halfway on your up/down indicator) If you are still not turning high enough RPMs then you have too much pitch in your prop. Every degree of pitch ususally relates to 200 RPM @ WOT trimmed. So a boat running 3900 with a 14.5 x 19 may need to go to a 14 x 17 (decrease in diameter also has similar effect as decrease in pitch)

All this leads to my next question:

If I recall correctly (don't have the specs with me), the WOT for the 170 is in the 4200-4700 RPM range. Now, when I go out I get up to about 4500 RPM and still have some throttle left. (I admit I'm kinda nervous about going full WOT). What is the maximum RPM I should go to if it does in fact go past book WOT? And if it does, how do I wrassle the beast back down; some engine\carb adjustment or screw around with the prop?"

"Bill:

You know darn good a

"Bill:

You know darn good and well that over revving an engine is detrimental to it. These well intentioned, experienced and knowledged men have given you sound advice from different aspects of WOT RPMs versus prop pitch to give you the extent of the vairables involved. It is now up to you to decide what combination of RPMs and prop pitch best serves your purpose. If you want to run your engine at the top end of the WOT limit; that's your perogative. Use the prop finder spreadsheet Rod provided and go from there to get what you want. This subject has worn out its welcome. Please don't bring it up again. Thanks for your input."

"Find out in your town when is

"Find out in your town when is the next boat rally, take your boat and ride it next to everyboater at wot and ask all 100 or 500 of them there prop size , engine h.p. weight of boat and outdrive ratio ,write it down ,go home do your homework i think is easier that way ,Burke"

"Find out in your town when is

"Find out in your town when is the next boat rally, take your boat and ride it next to everyboater at wot and ask all 100 or 500 of them there prop size , engine h.p. weight of boat and outdrive ratio rpms,write it down ,go home do your homework i think is easier that way ,Burke"

"Guy, give me a break. Of cour

"Guy, give me a break. Of course I know that over-reving is detrimental, which is exactly why I was asking the question. There are questions about not achieving the book value WOT, mine was about preventing exceeding it. I have no desire to do that and want to prevent it from happening, even accidently. Heck, I get nervous running the thing at 3000 RPMs for any length of time.

You are a "self-taught mechanic". So am I, but new to boats and and all that goes with them so I ask questions until I am sure I understand the subject. I've read about how boats engines and components are engineered differently to handle the higher RPMs than autos. However, I don't know the tolerances, what's considered "normal" use, or what's considered "abusive". I came here to find that out.

Sorry, it's my nature. If I'm on the water, I want to understand every risk I might face, and takes steps to mitigate against them.

Thank you for your input.

peace"

Bill:

Please accept my apol

Bill:

Please accept my apologies for misinterpreting your posting. You are right wanting to know everything possile about your boat and its limitations. I am anal when it comes to reading owner's manuals and service /repair procedures. I have a gift of the ability to memorize details with one reading and tend to forget that it is a gift and not everyone has it. Give yourself a pat on the back for wanting to know more; not every boater cares to know. They just gas and go. Good luck and peace.

"Bill
Good on you for wanting

"Bill
Good on you for wanting to know your boats limitations

Guy G
"These well intentioned, experienced and knowledged men".......now thats a rap !!!!

Bill, we get some good questions thrown at us sometimes and we are probably all guilty of over analysing problems or misinterpreting them from time to time.
Asking questions is how we all learn and I believe its a good day when you learn something new.
You keep asking, we will keep trying to answer.
Cheers
Peter C"

"[b]"Now, when I go out I

""Now, when I go out I get up to about 4500 RPM and still have some throttle left."

Which means about Nothing.......
Just because there's More throttle Travel doesn't necessarily mean there's More RPMs available.....

"What is the maximum RPM I should go to if it does in fact go past book WOT?"

If it Does Rev more,...... Pull back on the throttle(to the 4700rpms Recommended) at or before 5000rpms,+ you'll be fine....

" And if it does, how do I wrassle the beast back down; some engine\carb adjustment or screw around with the prop?"

The Only Cure is More Prop Pitch........"

"Thanks everyone.

Guy - y

"Thanks everyone.

Guy - you made my day. Thanks!
sun.gif
"

"Bill:

You taught me a valu

"Bill:

You taught me a valuable lesson; open mouth, insert foot. Pass me the salt please, I forgot to wash my feet........
sad.gif
"

"Guy
You have taught me a val

"Guy
You have taught me a valuable lesson as well.
The "open mouth, insert foot. Pass me the salt please, I forgot to wash my feet........"Is one of the best I have heard in a while.
lol.gif

Always a pleasure
cheers
Peter C"

"Peter et al:

The important

"Peter et al:

The important thing is the prop questions were answered. To me, seafarers seem to stick together more than landlubbers. "All's well that ends well." author unknown"

Back