Logo

Bob Hystat Ringvolde Please chime in

"Hey guys, Can you give advice

"Hey guys, Can you give advice on the 88, 3.0 omc, cobra post 11 down from here ??? Please chime in. I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue."

"Anthony....the first belt tha

"Anthony....the first belt that broke, had it been on there for a few years or was it recently replaced? Were they good quality belts? Are they the right belts so that they ride in the pulleys in the correct position? Has anything been changed on the engine (I think Morten asked) such as circulating pump or alternator? Can you tell if the belts are being chewed on the sides or the bottom?"

"Bob, I bought the boat last y

"Bob, I bought the boat last year, had it about 5 times last year, no problems at all. I did notice the belt was a little loose last year, so i adjusted it last year ran good no problems. This year had it out 3 times and belt broke on 3rd trip out. It was a dayco belt on it already, 15420 a 42,, belt. I researched the belt and found that it calls for a 15415 41 1/2,, belt. So i bought a 15415 belt and installed it took the boat back out and ran good, went out the next weekend and belt broke. Now i know something is not right, so i bought 2 15415 belts put one on and tie- straped the other to the inside of the front mount so i would not have to go through the pain of having to get the picker back out and support the motor and remove the front mount again. Went back out the next weekend with the boat 2 hours into the trip snap the belt broke again. So now i have one belt on the boat, but i know there is a problem somewhere and i am going to TRY to fix the problem before i go back out. The water pump may have been changed by the former owner, he did not say that but it is black in color, to me that is aftermarket, because if im correct omc water pumps were grey like the block. To me it looks to run TRUE, pulleys are not rusted or pitted. The belt is being chewed up in the sides, what i have always thought is that if it chews up the sides the belt is not running true. Friend says that the front crank pulley is warped and at high speeds /rpms most likeley it is chewing it up. I started the boat and the balancer/pulley does wobble a bit when idiling, so i guess it wobbles a bit more at high rpms. I have ordered a pulley/ balancer from doug russel marine to eliminate this issue."

"Belt quality have been mentio

"Belt quality have been mentioned earlier. Nota that the softer the belt is, the more pure rubber it contains, the easier it will get overheated and burn. Another thing is the strech of the belt. Cheaper belts may have fewer layers of reinforcement as well as more rubber. Allways monitor how the new belt behaves when started. if is starts to look 'loose' when reving up, You have a low quality belt that stretches. The sides of the belt is where the friction is so if that is pure rubber - no wonder they gets worned out. Bottom line: stay off 'soft' and nice belts, go for the 'steel-bands'."

"Morton, What name brand belt

"Morton, What name brand belt should i use ? What brand has the steel-bands ? I had always thought dayco was a top-shelf belt, i have never used the cheaper belts such as drive-rite or etc. on autos or marine."

"I do not know what is availab

"I do not know what is available in Your are. Myself I allways used the OEM belts from OMC/BRP. Got tired of experimenting with other brands.
No belts have steel reinforcments, just a way of explaining that the 'hard' belts are often better. Less stretching and less wear-off and risks of overheating."

"Go to Napa, autozone, advance

"Go to Napa, autozone, advanceauto parts or any place that sells lawnmower belts and get them to match one up. Might be called a heavy duty utility belt. There very tough. I have a big fan in my shop, regular belt kept tearing apart because the pully is a little crooked, used the lawnmower belt, been working years still looks new! Good luck"

"I would go to a BRP dealer an

"I would go to a BRP dealer and see if he can order a belt for you, looks like PN 0311606 is the right one and see how long that one lasts."

Back