Logo

Crusader 81 vs MeCruser Horizon

W

Will Newton

I am in the market to repower

I am in the market to repower a 33 Bertram FBC. Looking at both Crusader and Mercrusier. Anybody know specifics on the differences on the two choices. Some have told me that Crusader starts with a heavyier duty version of the same GM block. Any observations or first had knowelge with the two power choices would be great.

"Will, go to this site and c

"Will, go to this site and check out David Pascoe's articles on marine engines. He compares gas vs. diesel and Crusader vs. Mercruiser.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/engines.htm

"

" Yes, saw what Pascoe had to

" Yes, saw what Pascoe had to say and it sounds good. I had understood that Crusader was using a heavy duty version of the GM block. This apparently is not true and the main differece is in the fuel pump and the computer programing that MerCrusier is using. Diesel would be great and my choice would be the Cummins 6b at 315hp. With that power the 33 Bertram would cruise around 23 knts and burn about 23gph which would be perfect. Price, however is not perfect so I'm religated back to spark plug world. Thanks for the help. "

" I spent some considerable ti

" I spent some considerable time comparing the two.
First, Crusader has FWC manifolds, merc does not. Crusader has eliminated the vapor lock problem with their fuel canister, merc has not (their solution is to hit the fuel cooler with a hose when it happens. By the way, Merc's fuel cooler is below the heads, behind their motor mount and is a nightmare to service. Crusader's is right up front. Also, Merc's raw water pump is a 2+ hour job to change the impeller, while Crusader is a 10 minute job even with several beers in hand. Crusader provides more total horsepower and their 385 hp engine produces max torque at only 3200 rpm - right at your cruising speed. The engines are very powerful, and in my 35 ft SeaRay, I am getting better than ONE mile per gallon @ 25mph, better than my friends with diesels. "

crusader has apparentley solv

crusader has apparentley solved the water ingestion problem -value overlap with late big block chev. this is a big problem check it out

"I went with the Mercs in 1999

"I went with the Mercs in 1999 and haven't looked back. The impeller issue IS an issue...hard to change..but hey, have never done mine in 4 years (I know I know!)

Mine burn about 13gph each in a 36ft Trojan."

".."have never done mine i

".."have never done mine in 4 years "

A guy I know an his impellers for 22 years! And they were still working when he, feeling bad, decided to change them.

Jeff"

Back