Logo

OMCMercruiser question

"OK, OK I knew that would get

"OK, OK I knew that would get a few of ya reading!

I have been a merc guy for a bit i guess.I have that one handled as it is a '79 and i've fixed everything twice and a couple of things 3 times.

I am looking at a winter project to keep me outta trouble. It's an '86 Ebbtide 18 ft.
4.3/cobra (dog clutch style i believe)

This boat is immaculate except for 1 small scratch. It has been sitting (covered) for about 7 or 8 years. The original owner sold it (cheaply I think) to my local auto junkyard and told him it has a cracked block.

I checked the boat over very well and all is in great shape except for some minor rot in the plywood side panels. I pulled the dipstick and it was clean oil but creamy at the very bottom 1/2 inch.

I have read a bit here and see that there is some shifter cable problems with the cobra units. I don't see alot on cracked blocks or blown head gaskets so I presume this is a fairly dependible motor.

So my questions:

How can I tell if it is actually a cracked block or if it is maybe just a blown head gasket?
Would a compression test tell me if it is a head gasket or would a cracked block read the same?

Second, I have read the Stuart at hastings bulliten on the shift cables and adjustments but I am wondering would this unit be hard to shift when it is not running? It seems quite stiff to me and I am not sure if it is because it potentially has problems or if it is because it has sat for so long?

Lastly, what else should I look for before making this sale at what I belive to be an incredible deal? ($400)

I appreciate any and all input
Bill"

"I heard, but I may not know f

"I heard, but I may not know for sure, if there is water in the oil, it could be a bad seal, or I would presume a cracked block"

im replacing mine due to a cra

im replacing mine due to a cracked block it looked fine and i got it running but it also had water in the oil but the outside loked fine two freeze plugs were out so i thought they did there job and everything ws alright so i changed the oit and a little later more water in the oil so i started takeing it apart hopei9ng it would be head gaskets i pulled the manifold off and there was two cracks one about 10 inches and other about 4 in the valley so im in the process in getting a junkyard motor so i would pull the manifold and chevk under there junkyard charges for the short block 50bucks thants all

Back