Logo

Just a Hello

pugetsounder

Advanced Contributor
"I just wanted to say a big he

"I just wanted to say a big hello!

I just aquired a 1982 19' Sunrunner Cuddy cabin with the MCM 470/Alpha 1 package. I am not new to boating as I was over on the Volvo Penta board for a bit. I learned more about fixing stern drive motors than I ever thought I wanted to!

I know I've heard good and bad about the 470 but this one seems to be well cared for and in good shape. It has 720 hours, the compression was 145 in all four cylinders, no water in the oil, no oil in the coolant. When I sea trialed it the temp was even and cool, the oil pressure good and steady. In case anybody is interested I just bought this Pertronix kit off of EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK% 3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270148383196&rd=1,1

for a total of $112.80 it also comes with a Flamethrower oil filled coil as well.

I've been reading through the posts on the 470 to familiarize myself with any pitfalls or problems associated with this motor. I am hoping to have a lot less troubles and time working on this boat than I did with the Volvo-Penta. I know VP makes a good product but I would trade it for a boat that was well taken care of than one that was neglected any day. Lesson learned!

I am hoping to NOT be on this board as much as I was on the VP board for obvious reasons."

"Puget;
Maybe keep a close ey

"Puget;
Maybe keep a close eye on the temperature gauge. It seems to me that well over half the problems with the 170/470 reported on this site involve overheating for some reason or another, particularly when used in salt water.
Just a thought.
Rod"

"Thanks Rod. I always keep my

"Thanks Rod. I always keep my eyes glued to the gauges, probably too much so. I think the motor is pretty sound and well maintained. Is there anything to watch for as far as the Alpha 1 drive? Any common problems to keep an eye on?

The Pertronix deal on EBAY: if you scroll to the bottom of the page and check the orange fine print the coil offer is there. Buy it seperately and they kick you back $6 for shipping. Go to the seller's ebay site to find it. $68 for the Pertronix 1146A is hard to beat. Throw a coil in for the price most places charge just for the ignitor and you don't have to deal with matching up the coil issues I've read about. You can also a call them. I should get my stuff early next week. Can't wait!"

"Regarding the drive; just cha

"Regarding the drive; just change the lube oil every 50 hours or yearly, keep it topped up, look for metal flakes or milky color when draining, be alert to any strange or new noises, and don't hit any rocks if you can help it.

Otherwise, have fun!
Rod"

Back