Logo

Yamaha T8

joes

"Loss of power on my T8. Was

"Loss of power on my T8. Was getting 5.2 mph, now 2.2. Checked cables, spark plugs, prop, everything seems ok. Could the loss of power be caused by old gas? (last years mixed with year before's gas.)
What else can I check?"

"Joe, try new gas first. year

"Joe, try new gas first. year old + 2 year old gas may equal something like 50 octane if you are lucky - it's a wonder it would burn at all...

Hopefully it hasn't gummed your carb up..."

Maybe it has higher compressio

Maybe it has higher compression or higher voltage spark or a number of other reasons. Modern gas gets old in about 3 weeks and the outboard mfg's recommend that either it be stabilized all the time or changed out....

"Joe theres lots of variables

"Joe theres lots of variables starting with how the motor was prepped for storage, the size of the carbs and float bowls etc. Were the carbs empty when it was stored? The bottom line is old gas unless it has been stabilized is trouble!!!"

"I stabilized the gas and ran

"I stabilized the gas and ran it through both motors before it was stored in the mines near me. It remains a constant 55 degrees inside the mines.
I am going to drain all the gas out tomorrow, change fuel filters, spark plugs, and water separator filter. I am also going to fill the tank with new gas and a can of Sea Foam. I hope that will do the trick.
Will carb. cleaner do any good if the problem is still there?"

Back