Logo

Volvo AQAD41A engine stopped while running

fish_slayer

"I was fishing a tournament th

"I was fishing a tournament this weekend and was headed to the weigh in at 24-knots. The motor shut down and I wa sdead in teh water. I pulled the engine cover and there was oil all over the top of the engine and in the bilge. Next to the dip stick is a second pipe taht looks just like a dip stick, but it has a cap over the pipe. This cap blew off and all the oil blew out of this area. The engine did not feel hot and it started back up after adding oil. I ran back in only at 4.5-knots to make sure I ddi not due much more damage. Any idea what would cause this and how I can test to see what damage was caused by this incident. I was told that this motor may have an automatic low oil pressure shut down. Does anyone know if this is true?
John"

The tube with the cap goes to

The tube with the cap goes to the bottom of the engine sump and is used to suck the oil out when you perform an oil change. For the cap to blow off and the oil come out there has to be pressure build up within the sump. The most likely reason is that the engine breather is blocked. Replace with a new one and try again. Dont forget to check the oil level too.

This is possibly a breakdown

This is possibly a breakdown on one cylinder. Make a compression test and you will see which cylinder. it is. Do not wot engine without visible checking if oil blows out again which is very possible. Engine has no low oil shutdown.

"Thank you for the repy. I ha

"Thank you for the repy. I have had the compression checked on the motor. The mechanic said he ran the motor just over 1500RPM's and the engine pressure held at 80PSI with no nocking. He said that the engine was running rough and felt like a bad cylinder with a lot of blowby. The compression test showed the 5th-cylinder with zero compression. The results were as follows: cylinder #1: 250PSI, Cylinder #2: 280PSI, Cylinder #3: 290PSI, Cylinder #4: 260PSI, Cylinder #5: 0PSI, Cylinder #6: 280PSI. I am looking for some reccomendations. The motor has to be pulled due to lack of clearance. Can I just re-sleeve the 5th cylinder or does this require a complete rebuild? I do not plan on keeping this boat forever, but I do not want somebody to have problems if I sell it."

"The cyl 5 piston /liner can b

"The cyl 5 piston /liner can be replaced individually. It does not require a total rebuild. However after 18 years my experience tells me you wil maybe find minor damages in more cylinders.What is the price of a cylinder liner kit in your area? In case all liners will be replaced,I use to choose the B version liners as the pistons gives higher compression ratio and this is the reason for smoke on A when cold engine but much less on B. (no exhaust brake necessary on b)
Regards Ingvar Ytreboe
www.marinedeler.no"

Back