Logo

NOT going anywhereHelp

fluvmwar

"Aftetr hitting a rock by a je

"Aftetr hitting a rock by a jetty I damaged my prop. I changed out the prop on a mercruiser 165 w/ GM 250 I/L 6. I have forward and reverse gears with no apparent noise. Gears seem to engage smoothly (as smooth as a '78 will) and all seems fine out of water, no gear grinding. When the boat is in the water I have no forward or reverse movement!! I checked for prop rotation with trim out...all seems fine. I checked the hub...all seems fine. I even held a block against the prop end to try and se if bearings or clutch was damaged...now I'm stumped!!!. could I have just purchased a bad prop? any help is appreciated."

Does the OD pump water w/o a h

Does the OD pump water w/o a hose? YES? Try another prop.

NO? You probably have sheared the vertical lower unit shaft above the water pump impeller. You can shift but it doesn't drive the prop or pump water since the shaft is sheared.

"I have water to the engine an

"I have water to the engine and out the bellows as good as before with a hose attached, how would I test w/o hose? ..I have no tank or tub advailable...I'll try and put in the water and test pump and give update...Thanks!"

Update to info...I forgot to m

Update to info...I forgot to mention that my prop is turning in both diestions w/o any apparant slippage

"Frank;
Are you saying the pr

"Frank;
Are you saying the prop turns in forward and reverse when out of water, but not in the water?
If its pumping water OK, your vertical shaft may be OK. Do you have a TorqFlo prop hub? These can shear or destroy the inner plastic cone in a rock mishap.
Your drive shaft coupler may be stripped also, showing up only with the heavy load imposed when the prop tries to rotate in the water.
Sounds like you need to have someone take a look at it. If the coupler is gone, the engine has to come out.
Rod"

Thanks Rod...Yes the prop appe

Thanks Rod...Yes the prop appears to work properly out of water. I installed a new hub and plate as well as the prop and checked to see if there was any wiping or signs of slippage...none...ARRRRGGG. Is the drive shaft coupler located in the outdrive?

forgot to mention that I am ge

forgot to mention that I am getting wash at the prop (water is being kicked up quite a bit) when the trin is full in in the water....only indication I have that prop is turn in water

"You mean that when the boat i

"You mean that when the boat is in the water, it kicks up a wash but you don't move?

Hmmm Are you sure your not still tied to the dock?"

LOL...thats funny....Yes but t

LOL...thats funny....Yes but true...wouldn't believe it myself...I would think gears would grind or make noise if out of sync or damaged.. I'm gonna try old prop and see if same results...will keep updated...

Good one Bill!! I love it.

Good one Bill!! I love it.

The coupler is on the back of the engine attached to the flywheel. It is the piece that the splined driveshaft to the outdrive fits into. They can definitely strip and leave you unable to move.
Rod

"Frank here's what I did t

"Frank here's what I did to check my coupler.
If you lean over the engine, and see where the shaft enters a rubber lined round thing attached to the engine, (thats the coupler) I just ran a Q-tip around the inside edge where the shaft enters the coupler.. If the Q-tip comes out with only grease your probably OK, if it come out with shards of aluminum or Aluminum/rubber powder/colour then your coupler may be shot, or on the way out! If the coupler is breaking down, all that shaved out crap has to go somewhere!"

Back