Logo

Prop thrust bearing

markchiz

Contributing Member
"so we put the new prop on, &#

"so we put the new prop on, (i wasnt present at the time). and they were saying the thrust bearing would not go all the way down the shaft. I'm not exactly sure how far down they got it, but from what i rememebered from putting a prop on a boat, it went all the way down, and rested against the base of the drive so it was flush, and then the other side of the washer was flush with the back of the prop hub.

so anyways, he couldnt get it all the way down, due to the tapering (stock thrust washer, the one that came on the boat). I'm not sure how far down he got it, but he said they put it on as far as it would go, and ythen put the prop on, and tightened it down. Is this good? it doesnt sound good to me. I thought the thrust washer went all the way to the base of the shaft. he said boat drives great, no problems...i'm a little concerned."

"i wouldnt put it past him, bu

"i wouldnt put it past him, but i asked him that over the phone when he called me with problems. he tried both ways, and ended up putting it on the shaft the correct way...I hope."

"Mark;
He must have got it do

"Mark;
He must have got it down pretty well to be able to get the aft end washer and nut on and tightened. One good test is you should not be able to see daylight between the base of the prop and the lower gear housing, from one side to the other. The recessed ring on the base of the prop fits inside the outer lip of the gear housing.
Rod"

Back