Logo

Fuel sending unit on the fritz

discobayken

Regular Contributor
"1989, Donzi, open bow, 4.3, 2

"1989, Donzi, open bow, 4.3, 200hp

My gas tank's sending unit is on the blink...sometimes it reads OK, sometimes she reads Empty when she has a full tank. I ran out once when she said half tank and she was empty.

I know its the sending unit because I can open the access cover and tap it, move it slightly and the reading on the gague will be will be all over the map.

Questions:

A) are the sending units specific to my tank or are they universal? I cant get a part # for it... B) looks pretty easy to change out....is it?"

"The sending units are specifi

"The sending units are specific to the gauge, they must match the resistance. Most common marine one's are 33 to 240 ohm. You can buy generic replacements that are adjustable for your tank, you pretty much need to know how deep the tank is, I think the generic ones will cover a 6" to 12" and then another one goes from 12" to 24". They are usually held in place with 5 screws and the new one comes with a gasket. Easy to replace, just be cautious not to cause any sparks while doing it as fumes will come out the opening until you seal it with the new one."

Back