Logo

OMC stringer 400 lower gearcase interchange

S

Scott Danforth

"Ok, long story short. 1985 O

"Ok, long story short. 1985 OMC 400 stringer in front of 3.0 liter. lower gear case was cracked and re-welded by Prior Owner. Now the weld is leaking.

I know the 400 shared many parts with the V4 outboards and some parts with the V6 I/O.

Question is what gear case housings interchange. I am trying to determine whether to disassemble, weld, reseal and assemble vs re-casing since there are lowers on ebay."

"Although they are made from t

"Although they are made from the same housings, I believe something is machined a bit different in the outboard lowers vs. i/o lowers where the bearing carrier goes or something that prevents the swap."

Next question - Anyone have an

Next question - Anyone have an 82-86 stringer 400 lower gearcase for sale cheap? Will also need instructions on re-setting the shift cable vs trial and error method.

Thanks in advance

Scott

"sorry, I don't know of an

"sorry, I don't know of any "cheap". I have used freshwater cases (and drives, and lowers), but I sell them for fair market value and I don't generally have to teach the buyers how to do the work, they have the factory manuals and tools and training."

"I have no problem pulling the

"I have no problem pulling the parts and setting up the gearcase. compared to my other projects, boats are simple, just a pain in the wallet.

Define "fair market value" I was just looking for the dimension on the shift cable to re-install, however I can figure that out within a few minutes. I am also looking for the waterpump shaft and low profile drive shaft for the upper as inspection of the impeller found fretting of the two shafts splines

thanks

Scott"

Back