Logo

Prop pitch question

hunter864

"I have a 19' Wellcraft wi

"I have a 19' Wellcraft with a 3.7L 170 and alpha one outdrive. I am currently using a 14.5 X 19p prop. Wide open I am hitting about 4000 rpm. What would be the correct prop size and pitch to give the best fuel economy as well as speed? I do not have any intention of pulling water skiers, just the occasional trip out with the kids on tubes.
Thanks,
Jim"

"Is the prop RPM directly rela

"Is the prop RPM directly related to the engine RPM? In otherwords, if I'm running the engine @3000 RPM, is the prop turning that fast as well?

I ask because I was just reading how the pitch affects the RPM. So, does this mean the type of prop will dictate what the engine's WOT RPM is?

Also, is Stainless 3 times the price better than aluminum?"

"Good question Bill, the short

"Good question Bill, the short answer is maybee !!

It depends on the ratio of your outdrive, for example if the ratio is listed as one to one then your prop speed is a match for your engine RPM but if it is any other ratio than that it is not.
The pitch and diameter will always have a bearing on the max RPM of your engine, aside from propelling your boat through the water the prop creates a load on your engine, the greater the load the harder it will be for your engine to reach its rated max RPM.
The trick is to get the balance right for your boat as far as pulling power and max RPM and that can mean a bit of fiddling with the prop as far as diameter and pitch.
It is generally recognised that Stainless props out perform Alloy props, the stainless props do not flex as much so you do not get as much variation in pitch under load. Stainless props can cause a bit quicker deteriation of your anodes but that is a small price to pay.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Peter C"

"Bill;
Your drive ratio shoul

"Bill;
Your drive ratio should be stamped on your drive leg. My book shows it should be a 1.84 ratio for the 170. That means your engine turns over 1.84 times as fast as the prop. Various engines use different ratio drives, with the larger engines using lower numeric ratios such as 1.50 or 1.32.
This is done to keep the prop pitch in the range of one to two inches of pitch per inch of diam; where they are most efficient. This means for a 14 inch diam prop, you want to be in the range of 14 to 28 inches of pitch.
Rod"

"Bill:

All that has been sa

"Bill:

All that has been said about props is factual. From my own experience, SS and alum. props are like night and day. 3X the price? I have bought new SS props at half the price; just shop around. They are cheaper in the winter; good deals are available from Michigan Wheel; refurbished props are good buys if from a prop builder/dealer; try eBay but make sure they give you the shaft diameter."

"peter,
i cannot open the fil

"peter,
i cannot open the file on the prop speed finder,lots of corporate blocking on my computer here at work,question is as follows,i`m running a 14.5 x 19 prop on my 26 tiara contintal 1985.
i can only get 3900 rpm out of my 5.7 litre fuel injected engine,specs call for 4500 rpm at wot.
any help as to what prop to go to next will be helpfull indeed.
thanks
chris

boat weight is 4900 lbs unladen"

"Guessing the HP is 260, drive

"Guessing the HP is 260, drive ratio is 1:50, loaded weight is 5,500#; you should be running a 17P prop."

Remember you must have your en

Remember you must have your engine trimmed correctly to get maximum RPMs. (usually about halfway on your up/down indicator) If you are still not turning high enough RPMs then you have too much pitch in your prop. Every degree of pitch ususally relates to 200 RPM @ WOT trimmed. So a boat running 3900 with a 14.5 x 19 may need to go to a 14 x 17 (decrease in diameter also has similar effect as decrease in pitch) Hope that helps...

"thank you all for the quick r

"thank you all for the quick response.
i contacted our local prop guru phil,at bossler and sweezy on long island .
he said the same thing you guys had to say,prop down to a 17 pitch prop,funny thing is that 3 years ago the boat ran fine with the 19.
according to phil,the gasoline is the problem,with the new additives they have been putting in the past few years.
any thoughts on that?
thanks again,this board is great
chris"

"Chris:

How old is your boa

"Chris:

How old is your boat? A recent post brought up the issue of water logged boat; i.e., foam and wood under the F'glass saturated with water. It can add hundreds of lbs. to the hull."

"wow guy, what a thought you p

"wow guy, what a thought you put in my head now,the boat is a 1985 tiara 2600 continental.
is this a common occurance or something unfortunate that can happen,never heard of that before"

"I have never read any stastis

"I have never read any stastistics on the water logging problem and floatation foam required by the CG for boats under 20'. The professional that replaced the transom on my boat stated that he sees it all the time on boats that were built using open celled foam. I would presume that since the foam is like a tight sponge that it will absorb any water it comes into contact with over a given period of time.

I first noticed it in my boat when I drilled some pilot holes in the floor to add different seating. The wood was solid but water logged. I used a hole saw to see what was under the deck and steam rollled off of the saw as it cut through the wood floor and exposed the floatation foam--looked just like a tan watermelon; nice and juicy.

Every pilot hole I drilled for anything was like drilling into a natural spring--even the transom when I added a transducer. You can purchase a moisture meter to measure the moisture content in the wood and flotation foam of your boat or just drill a few 1/8th" holes in inconspicuous areas of the hold and inside the transom and then seal them with polyurethane marine sealant. The floor has to come off to get the wet foam out and dry the stringers and transom if they are only wet and not rotted like mine were. Drains are drilled--USE A DEPTH GAUGE ON THE DRILL BIT SO YOU DON'T DRILL THRU THE HULL-- 1/4" TO 3/8" DEEP at the bases of the stringers, engine mounts and transom and vents are drilled at the top and sides of the mounts and stringers and above the waterline of the INSIDE of the transom until you find dry wood.

You can make a manifold drain out of PVC tubing and a 1" PVC pipe and then conect it to a shop vacuum and let it suck out the water. Then injecting lacquer thinner into the upper holes will force out the remaining moisture.

BIG FIRE AND SUFFOCATION HAZARD DOING THIS METHOD--BOAT MUST BE WELL VENTILATED AND YOU SHALL WEAR A RESPIRATOR WHEN ENTERING THE HULL OR ANY ENCLOSED AREA OR YOU WILL BE OVERCOME BY THE FUMES AND DIE.

A safe alternative is to suck out as much water you can with the manifold system and then install a dehumidifier in the bottom of the boat with a drain hose out of the drain hole. Now encapsulate the boat in 3-4 mil plastic sheeting in a tent manner. Installing a fan in one end of the boat keeps the air moving and hastens drying. Leave the boat outside in warm weather to allow the sun to bake the inside of the hull dry. The fan keeps water from condensing on the inside of the plastic sheeting. The sheeting will hold and seal better if you use the heavy clear tape that is used for installing temporary plastic storm windows.

When all is bone dry, Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer or CPES must be injected into the top holes--RESPIRATOR REQUIRED FOR THIS STEP--and allowed to run out of the bottom holes. The overflow of CPES can be captured and reinjected before it sets up. This process needs to be done 2-3 times to ensure enough of the CPES gets into the wood to seal it.

Then there is a several day open air drying period while the solvents in the CPES evaporate. It may take 5 days or 3 weeks for the CPES to dry depending upon the temp. When it is done drying, no odor will be present and the boat's structure will be strengthened by the epoxy enhanced wood. Plug the holes with a fine sawdust and epoxy puddy. It will never absorb another drop of water again.

When replacing the floor, cut the 5/8" exterior plywood to fit and then saturate it with 2-3 coats of CPES all over every piece. Install with 1-1/4" SS screws about every 6-8" and a liquid dish soap bottle with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of CPES. For each screw installed, first squirt a 1/4 teaspoon of the CPES on the floor and drive the screw thru it and the CPES will be drawn into the hole with the screw.

Next, to finish off the floor for strength, use epoxy to attach 20 oz. fiberglass sheeting to it per directions.

DO NOT USE CHEAP POLYESTHER LIKE BONDO. IT WILL NOT STICK TO EPOXY!!! EPOXY WILL STICK TO IT BUT NOT VICE VERSA!!! BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT!!! IT WILL PEEL LIKE A HEAD OF LETTUCE WHEN IT DRIES!!!

Layup and Leveling or L & L epoxy is easier to work with since it has a longer setup time--hours. Epoxy glues are like soft butter but setup in 10 to 30 minutes depending upon the air temp. Make small batches and place the container within an ice filled container and it lengthens the work time a little--stir constantly since once the chemical setup reaction starts it genrates heat and cannot be stopped. Unless you are experienced with fiberglass installation, work in small areas at a time. Use a stiff paint brush to dab the F'glass into crevices and corners. A floor glue trowel will spread both epoxy L&L and glue quickly.
Google "ROT DOCTOR" for more info. There are several brands of L&L and epoxy glues on the market--none are cheap--but all perform the same job when dry."

Back