Logo

Engine stalling

T

todd johnson

"I have a 2002 bayliner capri,

"I have a 2002 bayliner capri, i recently posted a discussion on my boat stalling after pulling a tuber or driving the boat for a while, it would idle down in neuteral until it stalled but it would start back up, i did what i was told on the posting , i did turn up the idle a couple hundred rpms and that helped for the stalling, i also cleaned the flame arrestor, changed gas, ckd fuel filter, but now when i go to take off it wants to stall like there is a dead spot in the accellerator. What should i do next? is it the timing? this boat only has 63hrs on it, its like new, but it was in storage, it will also go after a certain point in accelleration, its like a dead spot right after u put it back in gear and start to go, after that its fine."

"You better refresh us with th

"You better refresh us with the motor size, hp, carb or EFI, etc. Some of us don't have the memories that we once had.
Rod"

"If it has a carb. on it, it s

"If it has a carb. on it, it sounds like your accellerator pump has failed. Easy to replace."

"I prev posted about the stall

"I prev posted about the stalling of my 2002 bayliner capri, it is a 5.0 merc cruiser , and it has a carb, I believe it is a 220hp, it is bogging out after i take it out of neuteral, like a dead spot in the begining of accelleration, after the dead spot it runs fine, hey guy g where is the accellerator pump?"

"It is inside the top of the c

"It is inside the top of the carb. It attaches to the throttle cable linkage since the pump rod juts up thru the carb top plate.

Purchase the correct pump kit. Disconnect all batteries. Fire extinguisher at hand. Duct tape carb throat shut. Disconnect throttle linkage cable, Accellerator pump lever, choke wires and fuel line. Clean up gas spills. Remove top screws from carb. Carefully lift top of carb straight up. Stuff clean rag into carb throat. Have someone hold the top in position. Remove accell. pump and replace with new. Remove rag. Replace carb top gasket and carefully lower the top down while aligning pump rod into hole. Top must settle into place w/o any binding of parts; i.e.' float assy. Replace all screws SNUG. Reattach all items removed except batteries and throttle cable. Pull off tape. Operate throttle by hand while holding choke open to see 2 fuel squirts like 2 squirt guns. Attach cable and batteries. Hook up water source and test operation in drive or at the lake on trailer. Response of throttle should be immediate w/o lull or lag. Site below shows 2 barrel carb and pump assy. Make sure you get the correct pump. Some models have a bent rod at the top while others are straight.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=884715002&ivar=images/COM MON/11540.png&inbr=11741&bnbr=80&bdesc=Carburetor"

Back