Logo

Drive alingment fin above prop

markchiz

Contributing Member
"Just wondering how important

"Just wondering how important that little fin above the prop is? it can be turned and adjusted to serve3 as soem form of alignment.
put a new prop on, and it comes within 1/8" of the fin, far too close for my liking, so we heard people run their boats without these fins...
any input? good or bad?"

The fin is called an anode whi

The fin is called an anode which takes the brunt of the electrolysis process which will corrode your drive. Very important to have it installed especially if in salt water.

what is the signifigance of it

what is the signifigance of it being adjusted to a certain angle if it just an anode? most of them are adjusted about 8 degrees off to the side.

"If you aren't having prob

"If you aren't having problems with the drive torque steering you can buy a blank anode which is flat , and give you the clearence you need . I have a 3.0lx with a blank anode to clear my prop and have no probs with steering or keeping straight - unless I'm almost planning and full lock to one side then try to go the other way in a hurry, but hey- I really don't need to do that in that small window of operation. lol !"

"If you have power steering yo

"If you have power steering you don't need it as a trim tab. Merc makes a flat plate to fill the hole under the ventilation plate. This serves as an anode to prevent corrosion as Mike said.
Without power steering you need this trim tab to counter the effects of torque steer because, the prop turns only one way. Otherwise the steering will always want to turn one direction.
You can file or grind some of the fin off the front edge to increase the clearance to suit. No big deal. You must be running a prop with a bunch of rake?
Rod"

"Yeah, after we tore out the s

"Yeah, after we tore out the stock prop i got one of basically the same size (old one was 14.25 x 21p, new one is 14.3 x 21p) and on the box is says "Big blade design" and gave it to my co-owner to put on.
he said he had trouble fitting it on with the thrust washer, something about the washer not sliding all the way down the shaft. I know its tapered, but it that normal? i should start a new thread."

"No, that's not normal. Th

"No, that's not normal. The big fat thrust washer should slide down the prop shaft and sit solidly on the tapered bit where it enters the bearing holder. Something sounds fishy. Wonder if he was trying to put it on backwards?
Be careful with big blade props. Its quite possible to get a prop with simply too much blade area and you will lose hole shot performance, as the blade will not slip enough and let the engine get up into its best torque range. You want to be able to hit 3000 to 3500 RPM shortly after you hit it from a standing start.
Rod"

they also make different thick

they also make different thickness thrust washers....

i personally ground mine out a bit to clear when i changed props......works just dandy......along with the thinner thrust washer....

Back