Logo

88 30 omc cobra

"ok guys , help me if you can.

"ok guys , help me if you can. Have broke 2 belts in the past month. The boat does not have power steering, so it only has one belt. Water pump pully looks good, alternator looks good. It appears that the belt is running true. But i had a friend look at it and he thinks the harmonic balancer / front crank pulley is warped. It does appear to wobble a little bit, his thinking is at high rpms/ full throttle it has to much wobble and that is when the belt gets eat/ shredded. Has anybody ever had this happen ? I dont understand how it got warped when i have never pryed on it or took it off. Time/age maybe ? I dont mind giving doug russell marine $183.00 for a new crank pulley/ harmonic balancer. But i would hate to buy one and it not fix the problem. Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks"

"I have a 88 FourWinns 160 Fre

"I have a 88 FourWinns 160 Freedom with the 3.0 OMC Cobra and no power steering, just 1 belt. I had a new belt put on last year and it also got ate up so I put a new one on this year and it seems to be wearing too. Sounds like maybe the same problem and my crank pulley looks okay, not warped but I haven't really watched it at high RPM but I will the next time out. If I find anything out with mine I'll let you know."

"check the groves on both the

"check the groves on both the harmonic balancer, and altenator pulleys. over time they could have rusted and pitted, and if its not a smooth surface in the groove making contact with the belt, it chews it up pretty quickly. The boats 20 years old, could have some corroded parts on it."

"Except from the corrosion/pit

"Except from the corrosion/pitting mentioned be sure that all pulleys are 'lined' up.
Change of alternator, waterpump might change the line-up.
Another thing is belt quality.
I have seen good aftermarket belts and belts that have been gone just in a few hours. Unfortunately often the cheaper the belts the shorter the life-time. After every change, always recheck the tension after a few hours of running."

Back