Logo

57 Alpha 1 LX running great %3d No Thrust

ropedyboater

"Help ~ Vacation w/ little kid

"Help ~ Vacation w/ little kids coming up soon !!!

I HAVE A 5.7 ALPHA LX (250 HP) w/ about 300 hrs. on it. Seems to be running fine But last time out at full throttle, and ~4,000 RPM's she was only slugging along at ~ 28 mph instead of near 60 mph !!! I thought I blew the prop' bushing, etc... took out of the water, re-assembled it, etc... it appears to be properly engaged & fine... ? What's giving me my power loss, (bottom was pretty "fouled", but that shouldn't knock off half the thrust ! Right ??? What could be wrong ? Lower unit seems ok too, but not sure, turns in neutral, only clockwise when in fwd, no sounds, runs w/ trust at slow speeds fine ???

huh ?"

"If your coupler was failing y

"If your coupler was failing your engine would overspeed like crazy. If your speed has dropped since the bottom became fouled, that would be the first suspect. A dirty bottom will increase drag immensely. I would start with that. How are your diving skills?
If that's not it, an engine needs the following to make power:
-clean air; check and clean your flame arrestor
-clean fuel; change fuel filters, check fuel pressure
-compression; do a compression check
-spark at the right time; check timing, plugs, gap, wires
Also check for any restrictions in the exhaust system.
Hope that helps,
Rod"

"Thanks, to all... you guys ar

"Thanks, to all... you guys are great!

This is a lesson for the 'unwise' or at least semi-unwise / lazy! The jury is still out, but I'll bet it's the FOULING! (It was pretty bad). I thought I could get thru 1 season, and deal with that in Nov. after transition from fresh water to salt for the 1st time in April. "Me thinks NOT!" I have done all mentioned on the engine, it's purring like a kitten, running at full power... I thought it was a prop or shaft issue because of hitting a huge 55' yacht wake ~ airborne, also etc... (but believe me by accident ... %&*#@) ! All prop bearings, washers, bushing, shaft, hand turn together and "appear" to be fine, and lower end wouldn't engage in all the correct directions if it was shot ... right ? Ans: It's a 22' Cuddy, pretty heavy and 'beamy',but speedy too. It's already out of the water and cleaned, but my dive skills are much better than my common sense, or the condition of this harbor ... yuk !

I'll keep all posted, when I test it back in, ... this would be a shock ! (or should I say a "DRAG !)"

"No anti-fouling paint going i

"No anti-fouling paint going into salt water?
I'm assuming you keep the boat in the water?
Bad... very bad.
BTW, most palces that will put an anti-fouling layer on, won't take the time to recommnend a barrier coat before the anti-fouling layer.

Especially if the boat has some pretty bad fouling, it's worth the time and effort to sand it smooth, and put the epoxy barrier coat on before the anti-fouling layer. All the crusties that attached themselves to the hull have, to varying depths, rooted themsleves into the gelcoat (or what's left of it) and the underlying fiberglass layers. Merely scraping them off without resealing the holes/cracks, etc. will lead to more significant problems down the road.
Anti-fouling paint does very little to seal the hull. In fact most are designed to essentially slowly disolve in water.

Also, a benefit to having the additional layer: as the anti-fouling layer sloughs off, if you see the epoxy barrier coat stating to show trough, you know it's time to put more anti-fouling on."

"Your absolutely right ~ MY BA

"Your absolutely right ~ MY BAD! I figured I would take it out a few times this season clean it, etc... and that would be enough, until I treated in the fall ! 'Cheezzzze in 2 months it looked like one of those guys from "Davey Jones locker" !

thanks for your input."

"Good tip about the epxoy barr

"Good tip about the epxoy barrier...wish I would have known that a couple months ago before I put the anti-fouling paint on! But, the boat had little to no fouling on it as it had been out of the water most of the time, so it was very clean (it's docked now for the first time in it's 20 years!). I did epoxy some spider-web cracks I found on the hull, and gave a real light sanding to the rest. I'm sure I'll be better off than if I had done nothing!"

I think it is a stripped gear

I think it is a stripped gear in the transmission or lower unit. If it was the coupling the engine would rev like crazy once you went past 1200 or so RPMs. Never have I seen bad under paint or antifouling decrease boat speed by over half especially on a 22' cuddy. Just my thoughts...

Back