Logo

Volvo SX Outdrive will not shift into gear

steve88

"My boat will not shift into g

"My boat will not shift into gear. I was running down the lake and everything seemed fine. I stopped to talked to a friend in another boat. In order to maintain position and come along his side, I was shifting back and forth when all of the sudden, no more shifting. No odd noise or feel.

This is a 2003 18ft Four Winns boat with a Volvo 5.0 220hp and the SX outdrive. I just had the outdrive serviced by the dealer.

I have verified that at the control lever, the shift cable is still connected and moves fine. I can feel the cable moving in the sleeve at the motor. I have NOT verified the connecting at the outdrive.

My questions: What is the best way to verify the shift linkage connection at the outdrive? What else could be happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated"

"when I adjusted my shift cabl

"when I adjusted my shift cables, i had someone turn the prop while I shifted into gear. When adjusted properly, the "dogs" do their thing and the prop stops moving.

Shut the engine off and turn the prop as you move into forward gear. if the prop does not stop spinning, it would follow that you have a problem somewhere in the shift linkage."

Back