Logo

MD 11C loses popwer when under load Eventually dies

jashenderson

The engine began losing power

The engine began losing power when motoring against heavy seas. Eventually died. Would restart a few time. I replaced the primary fuel filter and bled the lines. Ran for a couple of hours at 2500 rpm (no load). Eventually died. Will not start now.

"No other symptoms. I have sin

"No other symptoms. I have since replaced the fuel pump and blown out the line into the tank. She ran fine when motoring from Maine to Boston. I think it is a combo of sludge in the tank and weak pump. I'm going to pump out the fuel and try and disrupt the sludge with forced air into the tank, filter the fuel and put it back in. Any other thoughts??"

Disconnect the fuel return fro

Disconnect the fuel return from engine to tank and let it run into a cannister while monitoring. If no more return: Fuel supply problem!

"If you us a can of fuel for y

"If you us a can of fuel for your supply and return it will give you a better idea of a sludge or fuel system problem. If that does not work, I would suspect the lift pump; if not the fuel injection pump assuming that we are talking about a diesel engine."

"Fuel polishing is partly a wa

"Fuel polishing is partly a waste of money and only deleys the problem, but a nice income for those who do it. If the tank and fuel is 'dirty', You might as well start the engine and let the return run into a clean container(through the filters, until the main tank is empty.
Then the most important: Manually clean out Your tank!!!!!!!!!!
Replace all filters and keep on running."

I don't think my Volvo MD1

I don't think my Volvo MD11C has a fuel return line. There is a line that loops from the top of the tank to the outlet at the bottom on the tank. From there the line goes to the filters and then the engine. I see noting that returns from the engine to the tank.

"There is a return line going

"There is a return line going from the end of the injectors and on some models back to the filter. If so, have it disconnected, block into the filter, and let it run into a cannister."

Back