Logo

198589 30hp yamaha cabling

M

mark ross

"hi, ive recently perchased a

"hi, ive recently perchased a small boat with a 1985-89 2 stroke yamaha that is running perfectly. i am brand new to this environment so this question may seem a little simple.. i have noticed the casing on a cable has split and wires are splaying out and starting to rust, not good. it is one of the 2 cables that go into the bottom left side of the engine and i would like to know what cables they are and can i replace them myself as a total beginner? all the cables disappear behind panelling so it is difficult for me to trace them.

any answers gratefully recieved

cheers

mark"

"Mark, it sounds like you are

"Mark, it sounds like you are talking about the shift and throttle cables (that go up to the shifter).

These are relatively inexpensive to purchase new (start around 30 bucks a piece at discount marine places).

And not very difficult to change - the hardest part is "fishing" them through wherever they are hidden between the shifter and the motor.

If you want to change them, I would remove 1 of them first (or the one that needs replacing). That will allow you to see where it's going and then you can use it to secure the correct replacement.

It is usually connected on the engine end by a clip at the end of the cable and similar (with maybe a cotter pin) on the shifter end of things..."

Back