Logo

Volvo 2003 Overheating

M

Mark Morwood

"Yesterday the belt on my volv

"Yesterday the belt on my volvo 2003 broke while I was charging the batteries at about 1500 rpm. I didn't notice straight away because the buzzer is broken on the engine - I have 2 - its a catamaran.

The temp light was on when I shut down the engine, but I would guess was on for a max of 5 minutes. This is a freshwater cooled engine.

I changed the belt but am having continuing overheating problems. The coolant is blowing back out of the reserve tank. The most concerning symptom, which I only discovered late today is that no fluid is getting to the drain plug. I've done the following:
- checked the impeller (raw water is coming out the exhaust as normal)
- tested the thermostat (it opened at spec at 180 degrees)
- taken off and opened the heat exchanger - the tubes were clear
- bypassed the external hot water system

When I try running the engine, as it starts to warm up cooling water is forced back out the reservoir.

Any suggestions as to what to try next? I'm guessing this is not good new, particularly that when I add fluid, it doesn't flow out the drain plug.

Thanks,
Mark."

"If it smells exhaust out of t

"If it smells exhaust out of the expansion tank, most likely a blown head gasket or even worse: cracked head."

No smell of exhaust gas. I don

No smell of exhaust gas. I don't really know the insides of a cooling system. Is it possible something has blocked the coolant flow through the block? I'm confused by nothing coming out the drain.

Mark.

Nothing comming out might just

Nothing comming out might just be a blockage. Take out the drain cock and 'clean' with a screw-driver or similar. When did You last open the drain-cock for change of cooling liquid? You may have to attach a water hose and back-flush through the drain cock. Replace the cock with a niple with same thread to attach the hose.Have You checked that the circulation pump is working and circulating the fluid? You might to have to take off the pump and check that the 'impeller' is not slipping on the shaft.

Thanks. I'll try clearing

Thanks. I'll try clearing drain cock and check the fresh water pump.

Mark.

"Thanks all for the help. The

"Thanks all for the help. The good news is that I think the problem was that after I overheated the engine with the broken belt, that the coolant I was adding was not making it every where it should because the overflow tube from the thermostat back to the overflow/header tank was blocked.

It took me a while to work this out, but after clearing the drain valve, checking the thermostat, checking the heat exchanger, bypassing the water heater and flushing the system I could still not get the system to accept the proper amount of coolant. Some more checking then found the blocked hose. Fixed that and the system now accepted the right amount of fluid and runs without overheating.

Mark."

This sounds EXACTLY what I hav

This sounds EXACTLY what I have been living these past few weeks. My coolant blew out without help of a broken belt...why oh why??? the first thing I noticed was the 100% blocked nipple going from thermostat housing to the overflow tank probably causing an airlock. I have since cleaned it (drilled) & heat exch and hoses and am awaiting new seals etc from Volvo. I did put some water into the engine and heard air rush out so I guess its taking fluids but I have a few leaks to deal with first
thanks alot...your similar experience has been very helpful to me.
I am just happy this didn't happen in our last rough crossing I only have one 2003.
Al A

Back