Logo

23 liter outdrive oil dripping out around prop

pultab

"Hi All,
Just bought an 89 ba

"Hi All,
Just bought an 89 bayliner 2.3 liter and cobra outdrive. All seems well with the boat except that I have a slow leak of outdrive oil coming out around the bottom of the prop. Otherwise the oil looks good. (no white). I am new to boats but I do know which way to turn a screw. Anyway, I was wondering if maybe I have a bad prop seal or two. I subscribed to the Seloc online manual but can't find any info there. If I happen to be right about the seals(s), are they hard to replace? I ordered a new prop for the boat and was hoping to do both things at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance."

"Sounds familiar! There are tw

"Sounds familiar! There are two back-to-back seal around the prop shaft. You have to pull the bearing carrier from the housing to replace them. OMC/BRP has a special tool, but you can make one pretty easily out of a couple of bolts and a piece of bar stock. I see no reason that you can't pull the housing with the drive still installed, but I've not tried it. Regarding instructions, get a copy of the specific OMC factory manual for your engine/drive. Seloc/Clymer won't have the detail you need for this type of work. The factory manuals are readily available on eBay, or you can order one through your local BRP dealer for a little(?) more. You'll need your engine/outdrive model numbers. They're invaluable on Cobras. Good luck!"

Back