Logo

Points Question Vs High Idle

cruise564

"I got the shifter cable to go

"I got the shifter cable to go both forward and reverse, Checked the Idle celnoid, it worked, also checked the ldle screw, no difference, Would the points being set either to high or low cause the Rpm to be high, Again, Carb. ok, fuel decent.
Help"

"poorly adjusted points can af

"poorly adjusted points can affect RPM as can engine timing and advance.
Check all your tune basics including overall advance, are correct and get back to us.

Peter C"

"About the points, no. They wo

"About the points, no. They would not speed up the rpms."

"Sorry Eddie but you are wrong

"Sorry Eddie but you are wrong, next time you fit a set of points set them to the correct gap or preferably by dwell. Note the engine rpm, then open the points by say an additional 30% and note the RPM again, it will be different, go in reverse and close the gap by a around the same amount and the RPM will be different again.

If the points are not set correctly and then they are set to the right specs it can most definitly add to your RPM. We are not talking thousands but we are talking maybe a couple of hundred.
Cheers
Peter C"

I was answering A.D.s question

I was answering A.D.s question about abnornally high rpm's. The points in and of themselves would not explain HIS problem.

"Eddie
My Apology's then

"Eddie
My Apology's then, sorry about that, but if you can encourage anyone who continues to start new disscusion topics, about the same problem, to just keep it under their original posting, that would be great, just makes it easier to follow a problem from start to finish.

Once again sorry if I sounded out of line.

Cheers
Peter C"

Back