Logo

23l Point gap Help Engine runs rough

89capri23l

OK - Engine died last week on

OK - Engine died last week on the lake - would not restart - Bought new point and Condensor installed (point gap .018) engine starts but runs rough will not idle below 1000 rpm. Engine backfires when starting - starter is fighting like the timing is to far advanced.

Any tip on setting point gap .018??

Engine ran great before this problem.

"Recheck the gap. Be suspiciou

"Recheck the gap. Be suspicious of new condensers. Condensers are notorious for being bad, brand new, right out of the box. If nothing obviously wrong with the points, put in another new condenser."

"Eddie,

Thanks for the quic

"Eddie,

Thanks for the quick reply - yes bad new parts - I may just order a new condensor.
Anyone know the correct spark plug for this engine?? - I am changing the plugs just because.
Old plug was a Champion RS12YC is there a NGK replacement??"

"The automotive NGK equivielen

"The automotive NGK equivielent is BPR5EFS. NGK is a fine plug, probably the best production plug on the market, BUTTTT, there is no such thing as a "super plug". Do not change for performance reasons. Champion, AC, Autolite, Bosch and NGK are competitive and very good. If you do switch brands, double check the cross reference and visually observe that the characteristics are the same (lenght of threads, ect.) and do not force threads, the first time. Always use antisieze on the threads when installing new plugs.

I've had good luck with Autolite over the years cost and performance wise. Even though they are a Ford subsidiary, I've used them in my mostly GM engines and even a Palmer marine engine for the last 40 years with excellent results. I've used NGK in my Nissan and Honda automobiles."

OK - New autolite plugs instal

OK - New autolite plugs installed - got a new condensor reintalled the old points (cleaned) runs good.

Old spark plugs were black (rich running) so I did adjust the carb idle screws in 1/4 of a turn.
My timing is set at 18 degrees BTDC at 900rpm (boat tach) is this to far advanced??

Do you have vacuum operated ch

Do you have vacuum operated choke pull-offs on the carbureator?

Those things tend to get bad i

Those things tend to get bad in time and stop operating. Also check that the choke is adjusted and is operating properly.

Thanks Eddie - I will check th

Thanks Eddie - I will check that for rich running condition.

I got mmy SELOC repair mainual so I have the engine timing specs:

10 degress BTC at 600 to 650 rpm point gap .019 dwell 34-38
Books says to not use the boat tach for timing adjustment.

Thanks

"I don't have the specs bu

"I don't have the specs but 10 degrees sounds more like a ball park figure.
Choke pull offs are easy to check. You can easily pull a vacuum on the diapham of the pull off with your mouth. Easier than drinking a milk shake. Block off vacuum hose with tongue or finger for a minute or two. Actuator should remain in place indefinately. If it creeps back or does not hold at all, you have vacuum leak in the diaphram of the ckoke pull off. I had a Chevy inline 6 engine in a pickup for 25 years. Seemed like the pulloffs would start leaking every 6-7 years and would have to replace them. Sold the truck after 300,000 miles original, running like a top. All I did to it was quick ignition tune ups, frequent oil changes, and replaced the choke pull offs, and a few waterpumps."

Back