Logo

Merc 470 ignition

john_w

I have a 1983 merc 470 with a

I have a 1983 merc 470 with a water cooled regulator. I am unable to get spark from my ignition coil. I have 12 volts going in when the key is turned on and 12 volts coming out of the secondary wire but I can't create a spark when I turn it over. Any ideas???

"have you had the distributor

"have you had the distributor cap off ? check the contact breaker points are ok! if you pull the center lead from the dizzie cap and manually open the points you should get a spark from the lead to earth, if not suspect coil !"

"John

"Safety first&#34

"John

"Safety first", make sure the bilge is ventilated and free of fuel vapours before you start earthing coil or ignition leads out to make a spark,
We dont want to read about you in the paper.

Peter C"

"Thanx, for the input, but sho

"Thanx, for the input, but shouldn't I be getting a spark off the secondary wire coming from the coil when I ground it?"

"John
If you have points igni

"John
If you have points ignition wind the engine over by hand until the points are closed, turn the ignition on and then hold your coil lead about 1/4 of an inch away from the engine block (high up the engine as you can away from the bilge.)
Turn your key to the on position and run your blower fan, with the key in the on position open the points with a small screwdriver and you should get a nice blue spark to the block, if not you have a problem.
Peter C"

Back