Logo

How to disconnect exhaust elbow bellows

arabiflora

"I'm replacing the merc 14

"I'm replacing the merc 140 motor in my boat. I've disconnected all the wiring, throttle cable, etc. Removing the exhaust elbow bellows has me stymied and before I damage something I thought I'd ask here.

I've fully loosened the upper pair of hose clamps, but see no signs that the bellows will break loose from elbow; even if it did, the bellows seem so rigid that they seem unlikely to compress to free the elbow. I'm inclined to go at the collar with a screwdriver, treating the bellows like a stuck-on radiator hose. Am I on the right path here?"

"Warm the rubber with a hair d

"Warm the rubber with a hair dryer on low temp and high fan to soften them a little. Use a small wide prybar to get under the bellows and break the seal in several locations and it will come off--might be some corrosion grabbing it. If you can get a part at the top loose, pour a little HOT soapy water under the seal to help."

"They usually come free with a

"They usually come free with a little wrestling and a couple of large screwdrivers to break the seal.
If it's a real bear, you may have to unbolt your elbow from the manifold to give you more leverage to convince it to let go. Simple matter then to replace the elbow using a new gasket.
This also gives you a great opportunity to inspect the elbow and the manifold for signs of corrosion and water leakage."

Back